Got a rescue and need help.

Meras

Hi I recently took over care for a leopard gecko because the previous owner was no longer spending the time required to care for it. I've owned a number of lizards before but they were all bearded dragons and from what I have read the care is different for the two. I really want to make sure that I am doing everything right so that the gecko can be as happy as possible. This is my set up right now. A 29 gal long tank with a screen lid.
An appropriate sized under tank heater.
3 hides at each location on the temperature gradient.
the middle one is the moist hide.
a small bowl of calcium powder.
a water bowl.
I place a food bowl when I feed him. (I still have not seen him eat nor do I know when the best time to feed them is since they are nocturnal.
I have a night time viewing/heat light.
The hot side is around 85/90 and the cold side is normally around 75.
I will put a picture of the gecko and the tank under this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
11811453_10206020336721340_7482707481082679600_n.jpg image1 (1).jpg

Ruvik

The tank setup sounds really good to me. And it is very common for geckos to stop eating for a week or two when they move to a knew place. It's best to offer food late in the evening to see if they will eat, if not don't worry unless the gecko starts really really losing weight. If the night light is a red light, it's not the best thing to have. Geckos may not be able to see the red light, but they do see it as a white light and react to it. best thing to do is to just remove the red light fully. I used to have a red light for view at night, but after I saw some discussion and proof that they can see red light, I took it off my tank. the gecko looks pretty good. Can you try and get a top view so we can see what the tail looks like? Your tail is the health meter for your gecko. If it is nice and plum and the little bumps are sticking out then that is good. If it's very skinny and the bumps on the tail are pointing down that is very bad.

Meras

The blulb is a zoomed moonlite reptile bulb.
Moonlite® Reptile Bulb
That is the link for it.

Here are two pictures I just took of her.
image1 (2).jpg image2 (1).jpg

One other question is I have been offering Dubia Roaches and Phoenix worms because that's what I feed my beardie. Are those alright or do Geckos require a different diet?

discoverlight

Usually bulbs aren't the best for Leos, since they can't see light as in colours, Red or Blue, but they see it as some sort of light (probably white) so they can still see it during the night, which can mess up their sleep cycle.

Her tail looks pretty good! And Dubias are fine but Phoenix worms should be treated as a treat, since theyre high in fat. But dubias as a staple would be alright! Just make sure theyre not bigger than the space between your leo's eyes.

Last edited:

Meras

Awesome thanks for the replies everyone. I already have an under tank heater so I'll just do away with the light bulb. Thanks for the info on the feeders too. Her and my young beardie are about the same size for right now so that will make it easier.

indyana

Phoenix worms are fine as a staple and not fatty; it's wax worms that are treat-only. :)

Looks like a good setup! You might find it is difficult to keep the log as the humid hide though, as it is fully open with only paper towel. For my quarantine tanks, I usually make an inexpensive humid hide by buying a tupperware container the right size for the gecko and cutting/burning an entrance into the top or side.

Visit our friends