Gravid gecko health problems

Samantha12

My female mated on 5/20 and still has not layed her eggs. Additionally, she started having strange defecations and she regurgitated a couple superworms. Yesterday I took her to the vet to have her checked out and do a fecal. The fecal showed pinworm eggs and the vet said it didn't look like her eggs were properly calcified for laying. He suggested that the pinworms could have been stealing nutrients, including calcium, from my girl.
He prescribed panacur for the worms as well as neocalgluconate and carnivore care twice a day to help her get nutrients and try to help her lay her eggs. The administration of the meds really stresses her out, which I know is awful for a gravid gecko. I have monoject syringes (needle-less, of course) that I use. I place one drop at a time on her nose and/or the sides of her mouth. She seems to clench her jaw when I do it and squirm away so I end up having to hold her down, stressing her out even more. It takes forever for her to finally start licking at the medications. I've tried rubbing the side of her mouth to make her open her mouth so I can just shoot it in all at once, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any advice for a less stressful way for me to give her all the prescriptions?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sit back on the couch and put the leopard gecko on your chest. Hold her lightly with your hand over her back, but let her move if she wants. Try the drop on the nose in this position and you may have more luck.

Aliza

Samantha12

I tried having her on my chest while laying in bed and she started licking the medicines much sooner and seemed much less stressed. She started backing up a little at times, but I didn't even have to hold her. Thank you so much!

Visit our friends