Great Stuff Expanding Foam

Klogue1

I'm considering doing a whole (habitat) remake of my leos 40 gallon breeder. Before I get really into planning the details I want to have a "base". So I remembered seeing on here someone used foam (maybe Great Stuff) and actually covered the floor and I think the walls as well of their tank, excluding the front for viewing, then he grouted it.

I was thinking about trying that, but I think cleaning would be a big problem in it. If I did it then I could probably use a small plot of sand in their "bathroom" corner to make spot cleaning super easy and not have to worry about the run-off liquids and such.

And just another question, if I did this, does it matter what type of Great Stuff I use? I looked on their website and saw they have several different kinds.

Thank you very much everyone!

EDIT: Just realized another likely problem. The UTH could have trouble distributing heat, and I've never used Great Stuff before, but is it heat resistant? If it is, couldn't that cause problems with heating too? And if it isn't, could the foam melt or give off fumes?

This is looking like a bad idea now lol. But I suppose using it on the sides of the tank would be fine, if it's grouted and sealed.

EDIT2: Found the thread I was talking about!
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=72977
This is what I'm waned to do basically, with my own personal touches of course.
So what John did is use expanding foam. He says he covered the UTH part with tiles :) That works fine then. I didn't even think of that.
My geckos oddly enough poo in the same corner, and never venture... So the potty corner works, but I'd rather use play sand than walnuts.
John also states using a spray bottle and bleach solution for disinfecting.

I guess I only have one more question then! lol, does it matter what kind of Great Stuff? I saw "Big Gap Filler", which made me wonder if the foam expands more than the others for this type, which is why I ask.

Last edited:

houseb

I have heard a few people make permanent backgrounds with that pond and stone great stuff. It also comes out black so if you miss parts with the silicone/substrate covering it's not so obvious. I have never personally done this so I can't give you any feedback on how well it holds up or how easy it is to clean, but I am going to make my first permanent background (it's for a planted tank) in the future. I'm always worried about not being able to clean/disinfect, so I have always done removable ones. I think in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your build, I'm sure you gecko will appreciate it.:main_thumbsup:

Here is a pic of a fully removable background that I did for one of my leos:

p10100438.jpg

p10100437.jpg

Korb

great stuff

you will want to use the great stuff that does not have mildew resistant chemicals. People have used the Pond and Stone GS, That expands a little larger I believe, and also sprays out black.

Visit our friends