Handling question

jejunestars

Hi all,
I'm a first time reptile owner with a 1-2 month old juvenile. He's very healthy and eating (lots!) and pooing normally. I've been really grateful for all the info here!
I've been handling him around once every two or three days, sometimes more. He seems fine once held and able to roam around and crawl on my arms, but the actual picking up always seems so difficult. He doesn't seem too distressed, as he hasn't hissed or made any noises, but he will run away when my hand is near. I "scoop" him up by the side of his body once I can, gently, and wait for him to crawl up onto my hand. This usually takes a long while for him to be comfortable with. I'm wondering if this is the proper way? How do you get your juveniles out of their tank? I'm so scared of scaring him! lol
Any input is appreciated!

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Some juveniles are more hyper than others. They usually do calm down with age. As long a he isnt hissing or too scared it sounds like youre doing OK with the way your picking him up. Im sure he'll get used to you and calm down :)

Pinky81

My bonnie will come to the glass and almost ask to be held...she will walk right onto my hand and up my arm. Now my male Clyde when I pick him up he pitches a fit (no noises) just wiggle fest! But once out of the viv he's calmer. Each one is a little different but agree if no hissing or growling your probably good!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
To add to what was already seaid... my Eros was a shy (well he still is) youngwter. I got him at about 6 mos old so not as young as yours likely is but I noticed he was always more receptive to being handled directly after eating. He is always more sedate and comfortable with a full belly. He will sometimes object a little bit with a squirm or a darting away but usually he is fine with it. Alsomake sure you wash your hands right before handling your leo with a non-fragrance soap. I notice that when I try to handle Eros with lotion on my hands (even if I put it on 5 hours ago) he will sniff, lick it then try to walk away esp. if it's cocoa butter lotion. He seems more tolerant of my hemp lotion for some reason but either way... wash up first so all he is tasting/smelling is you. Artificial scents or scent of other animals/things in the house could geek him out. Last thing I can add is try as hard as you can to not touch his back. Those bumps on his back are highly receptive to touch. Even now at a year old if I stroke Eros down his spine in his tank he will boogie fast as he can to another hide. I guess it's some sort of defense receptor kinda thing since most prey attacks leos from above. Eros is much more tolerant of me rubbing his sides tho if he is in his tank. He won't run.

If you qant... in my post history there is a couple great handling threads... one is called "why am I such a big chicken" and I forget the other, I think it has hand taming in the title but I can't recall. They'd be a couple of the very first posts I put up so you may have to go a few pages back :) there was some very good advice in those threads.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You're welcome :) I was told when I first got my leo, I think it was by Tarah (tlbowling) that they are very sensitive on their backs. I believe the bumps are called tubercles... they act very much like cat's whiskers. Also make sure you wash your hands after handling your leo... I spent a wonderful day puking after a night handling my leo assumably because I never washed my hands after handling like I usually do and then touched my face and had a snack... not fun.

Last edited:

Visit our friends