Having feeding issues.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I have three afts now. The two females will eat just fine. I give them dubias and they're gone within minutes. The male is being a pain. What I've noticed is that he doesn't even look at the ground or pay attention. He looked at the dubias once when they were moving, but that's it. He ate one mealworm and then no more. I tried supers. He ate two, but that was hand fed. He won't eat them on his own. Any suggestions? He's been here a few weeks now. Will he start eating them on his own when he's hungry enough? I do not want crickets here at all.

SFgeckos

Sorry to hear your troubles Kristi. In my experiences, fattails can be more picky than leopard geckos and some will only feed on specific food items. As you probably know from my previous posts, I've tried various experiments raising different gecko species on different feeders and I've found that fattails are "less flexible" in terms of feeder changes. When fattails I raised from hatchlings/babies were exposed to various feeders, they were more likely to accept them again when older. However, if a fattail is never exposed to certain feeder items (example- baby raised only on crickets and nothing else, or mealworms and nothing else) they are less likely to feed on insect prey besides what they are accustomed to.

How long have you had this male? What was he feeding on prior to being under your care? I would recommend using the same feeders he was on before, then slowly adjusting him to your feeder dubia (he may or may not switch over if he is older). Individual fattails can also be picky- I have some that prefer dubia, and others that refuse dubia unless they are extremely hungry. In addition, his male "hormonal instincts" may also be peaking if he is mature, which can often suppress appetite. I only feed my mature adult fattail males 1-2x per week, just 2-3 dubia each, and most are muscular and lean between 50-100 grams. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jon

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Sorry to hear your troubles Kristi. In my experiences, fattails can be more picky than leopard geckos and some will only feed on specific food items. As you probably know from my previous posts, I've tried various experiments raising different gecko species on different feeders and I've found that fattails are "less flexible" in terms of feeder changes. When fattails I raised from hatchlings/babies were exposed to various feeders, they were more likely to accept them again when older. However, if a fattail is never exposed to certain feeder items (example- baby raised only on crickets and nothing else, or mealworms and nothing else) they are less likely to feed on insect prey besides what they are accustomed to.

How long have you had this male? What was he feeding on prior to being under your care? I would recommend using the same feeders he was on before, then slowly adjusting him to your feeder dubia (he may or may not switch over if he is older). Individual fattails can also be picky- I have some that prefer dubia, and others that refuse dubia unless they are extremely hungry. In addition, his male "hormonal instincts" may also be peaking if he is mature, which can often suppress appetite. I only feed my mature adult fattail males 1-2x per week, just 2-3 dubia each, and most are muscular and lean between 50-100 grams. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jon

He's been here a few weeks and is still young, but not a baby. He ate crickets and superworms before he came here. My biggest issue is that he won't even look down at the food. I don't want to have to hand feed him, but he's always looking straight ahead for some reason. I put a couple supers on the ground and he didn't notice them. When I used the tongs and put the superworm up higher, he ate it with no problems. :main_huh:

SFgeckos

Sounds like he has you trained very well =) Try leaving the food in there overnight and eventually when he's hungry he will hunt! You spoil your geckos so much Kristi I love it! If his stool and weight seem fine, I wouldn't worry too much.

Jon

Visit our friends