Heat = burn = sterile gecko?

hikki

Hello,

I've read everywhere about heat cable. But I didn't about heat mat. I couldn't putt the heat mat under tank, it wouldn't heat enough. So I put it under substrate but the gecko didn't in their hide to be in contact with it. I made sure it didn't go above 34C°, is it true they can still become strike if they stay on it?

Sent from my GT-I9100

DrCarrotTail

I would think that its not so much of a concern that they are in direct contact with it but if it gets wet by a water bowl spilling or the gecko pooping on it it could electrocute them and/or start a fire that could burn down your house. I would be safe and buy a better heat mat and put it under the tank or buy a different tank if that is the issue.

hikki

The water bowl is quite far and small. So I'm not worried about that, anyways those heat mat are supposed are not so sensitive to water, unless it's damaged/opened... I put some water drops to clean it while it was on and nothing happened...

Sent from my GT-I9100

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
I do not think it would get so hot to burn them, you even check to keep the temps under your own control and choice. The gecko wouldnt sit there and get burned. All animals do not like pain. If its too hot they will move. But if you are trying to say that over time the heat will kill off sperm(like a laptop or tight jeans) then I'm not sure.

Visit our friends