Heating Help

RedBlaze

Alright so there are plenty of threads about heating, temperatures...bulbs...etc.

Currently I have a UTH that came with a "starter kit" from petsmart (tight budget) and a basking light for additional heat. Substrate of ceramic tile with sand in the joints.

I plan on one day making a custom setup but before I do I need to solve a small issue. It is 74F in my apartment, with the UTH and the bulb on full power the temperature is only 82F. Before I start with my setup I want to be able to swap the current light for a normal bulb simply for simulation of daytime. I want to be able to rely only on the UTH for proper temps so that I can adjust it per day/night.

20ce8fe3.jpg

JeepFreak81

Where are you measuring the temps? Air temps are as important as surface temps on the tile. Also if your gecko can get to that sand at all you run the risk of impaction.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Owens

Island Reptiles
where is your temp probe located? place it right on top of the UTH if you havent already, as for the lights you dont need basking lights for leos. There seems to be a lot of ppl having trouble getting the temps high enough the past little while with UTHs, I have the exo terra brand and needed to buy lamp dimmers to reduce the temps on mine as they were to hot at full power.

RedBlaze

@ Jeep : The temp probe is lying on the tile, there is a crevas on the back side of the log hide so that it is directly on the tile. I also thought it was only surface that was important for Leos.

@ Owens : Yeah I know I don't need basking but it was the best choice for additional heat. Is this the UTH you have?

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=SHGPT2040&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cpc

I've been looking for a good one that I can make sure gets hot enough.

Owens

Island Reptiles
@redblaze

That is the UTHs that I currently use on 3 of my tanks, they work wonderful for me and I have tile in my tanks.

Visit our friends