Heating Pad??

babybird

Hello,

I went to the petstore (I really should stay away from there....I always end up taking something with me...this time I was good...I only bought a couple of fruit treat sticks for my lovely budgies....:p) and I already knew that if I could get away with it I did not want to use a light to heat up my tank. It's just it seems rather harsh on the geckos. (I've been doing some research....) I was so excited when I found the heating pads that you place under the tank. However, I always wanted to go with paper-towels for tank. When I read the back of the box it said that is was unsafe to use unless you used sand or gravel. Neither is an option for me because I refuse to use them.

Is it really unsafe to use paper-towel with the heating pad? What can I use besides sand or gravel so that I am able to use the heating pad? In the pet-store they used a tropical soil-bark mix. I rather not use that because it looks like it would be messy to clean up. Is that my only option? (They don't have any reptile carpet in stock.) Can I use something over the heating pad...(like a towel or something) so that I can still use paper-towel without burning my gecko? :(

wakeskate420

Paper towels with a uth are perfectly safe, just make sure to monitor floor temps and if it is too hot just add another layer of paper towels

babybird

Thank you,

I will set-up my tank for about a week (before I get my leopard gecko) and make sure that I double check the temperatures for everything during the week and adjust as needed. I will double the paper-towel just in case anyway.

LZRDGRL

Hey, get your UTH from Amazon.com and not from a pet store.... you can save lots of money this way! Especially if you need other stuff from there and can combine shipping, or have free shipping. I buy UTH's in bulk from Amazon, and sometimes pay more like 19 dollars instead of 37 for a big UTH.

Here's the link.

Chrissy

cook75

Hello,

I went to the petstore (I really should stay away from there....I always end up taking something with me...this time I was good...I only bought a couple of fruit treat sticks for my lovely budgies....:p) and I already knew that if I could get away with it I did not want to use a light to heat up my tank. It's just it seems rather harsh on the geckos. (I've been doing some research....) I was so excited when I found the heating pads that you place under the tank. However, I always wanted to go with paper-towels for tank. When I read the back of the box it said that is was unsafe to use unless you used sand or gravel. Neither is an option for me because I refuse to use them.

Is it really unsafe to use paper-towel with the heating pad? What can I use besides sand or gravel so that I am able to use the heating pad? In the pet-store they used a tropical soil-bark mix. I rather not use that because it looks like it would be messy to clean up. Is that my only option? (They don't have any reptile carpet in stock.) Can I use something over the heating pad...(like a towel or something) so that I can still use paper-towel without burning my gecko? :(

Slate tiles work the best and there is no chance of them swallowing it.

babybird

Hey, get your UTH from Amazon.com and not from a pet store.... you can save lots of money this way! Especially if you need other stuff from there and can combine shipping, or have free shipping. I buy UTH's in bulk from Amazon, and sometimes pay more like 19 dollars instead of 37 for a big UTH.

Here's the link.

Chrissy

Thank you! I will definitely use amazon to shop! I didn`t even think of it before. However I will buy from amazon.ca since I live in Canada. Our prices are higher but it`s still cheaper then the pet-store! :D

Visit our friends