Heating Question

Alan Thomas

Hi there, let me start off by describing my current set up. I have 6 female leopard geckos, 3 each in a Exo Terra 36" L by 18" W by 18" H. Currently I use heat pads regulated by a Herpstat 2 thermostat. So 2 set ups, both exactly the same, each with 3 female geckos. I have no interest breeding, I just keep them as pets.

I was thinking of separating them so each would have their own terrarium... a 12"L by 12"W by 18"H Exo Terra.

Questions:

1) My herpstat 2 only has 2 outputs... is there a way to regulate all 6 terrariums with those 2 outputs or am I forced to buy a herpstat 4 so I have 6 outputs?

2) How do folks with racks heat each individual bin? 1 bin per output or do they have multiple bins on a single output?

3) Is a thermostat absolutely necessary or can I get away with just a heat mat?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are my thoughts about your questions:
1. 12x12x18 is too small for even one adult leopard gecko. Originally it was felt that a 10 gallon (10x20x12) was the minimum size and many people now feel that a 20 gallon (24 or 30x12) is the minimum

2. Outputs: I guess you could plug an adaptor into the herpstat that would allow you to plug more things into it

3. Racks: I only have one rack so I'm not an expert but most racks have flexwatt or (in my case) heat cable that runs along the side or back of each shelf, a temp probe in the middle and the whole thing runs off a single thermostat.

4. Thermostat? If you can end up with a situation that when you plug your heat mat in and wait 4-6 days to let the temp adjust, the floor temp (as measured with a digital thermometer with probe or a heat gun) doesn't exceed the low 90s, then yes you can. I have a few enclosures that can tolerate the heat mat plugged directly into the outlet and either because of the substrate (tile) or weakness of the heat mat they never get too hot.

Aliza

Alan Thomas

1st I want to say tyvm for answering.

I am a little confused so please forgive me. I watched a lot of videos of breeders using tubs with their rack systems. A lot of the tubs showing more then 1 gecko. I don't know what size they are using but it cant be 12X12X18. So I am confused as to how 12x12x18 is to small? I have no problem bumping the size up to 20 gal, I would just need to find the space.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They usually use 32 quart tubs. Here are the dimensions from my googling: 16 1/8" x23 3/4" x 6" (approx)/ 30.6 quarts.

It can be hard to tell from the videos. Now, if you could get enclosures that are 18x18x12 (high) that could work.

Aliza

Visit our friends