Heavy Drinker..

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
i tend to lightly mist one side of my LG's enclosure and it seems that my leo likes drinking/licking droplets every night. i live in a tropical island so the weather is the same all year round. i'm just worried if this is just normal or maybe my leo is dehydrated?

sausage

BSc AMAS
Its easy to see if your gecko is dehydrated the same way you would a cat or dog. the skin begins to look wrinkled and becomes easy to "pinch". the skin also takes a while to return back to its normal position. so it basically loses its springiness, i think its most noticeable on the tail.

do you ever see him drink from his bowl? it might be that he just likes his water better fresh :p

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
from the water bowl? never. it doesn't seem to exhibit the said symptoms either. it loves messing with the water though that's why i decided to remove the bowl and do mistings instead.

i'm just a little farfetched that my leo drinks a lot cause most of the stuff i read from keepers say that they rarely/never seen their leos drink water :D

sausage

BSc AMAS
You should always have a water bowl in your viv at all times so they have access to water when needed. Not only for drinking but it’s good for cooling down in and sometimes helping them pooh.
All of mine drink from their water bowls every day at around the same time :) . You should always let your leo exhibit the behaviours it wants to do, so if he likes the water bowl just let him. Yeah it might mean it makes a bit more work for you, washing the bowl every day but its not going to harm him in any way. :)

Last edited:

mörten

You should always have a water bowl in your viv at all times so they have access to water when needed. Not only for drinking but it’s good for cooling down in and sometimes helping them pooh.
All of mine drink from their water bowls every day at around the same time :) . You should always let your leo exhibit the behaviours it wants to do, so if he likes the water bowl just let him. Yeah it might mean it makes a bit more work for you, washing the bowl every day but its not going to harm him in any way. :)

+1.

Your gecko is also very likely to drink or cool himself of from the water bowl at night when you are sleeping so its hard to catch them in action. As sausage said, it is still very important to provide them with fresh water. Just make it a daily routine and is won't feel so tedious ;)

Visit our friends