Help identifying enigma syndrome

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
I just got a very beautiful young leo from a ++++++++/+++++ type of store and it had a 14 day warranty. I noticed my new guy has a tendency to just walk around in a circle once before he goes some where and might do it some other times, im not sure if hes looking for food or if this is the syndrome...I have 2 weeks to decide but I need some guidelines to what exactly the syndrome is and if any one can post a video to what a gecko actually does when he has this syndrome i would be very happy thank you for the help!

The gecko on the right.
Leopard gecko1 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
Enigma syndrome can come on many forms from stargazing to circling to flipping onto their back. Usually the syndrome remains dormant until stress (such as mailing) activates this deficiency. I can email u a clip I have of a Het Raptor that has the syndrome :). Ill try uploading it also...

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
Enigma syndrome can come on many forms from stargazing to circling to flipping onto their back. Usually the syndrome remains dormant until stress (such as mailing) activates this deficiency. I can email u a clip I have of a Het Raptor that has the syndrome :). Ill try uploading it also...

Thank you, I assume the stress from living at that store and then moving to my place might of sparked this...I do think he is stargazing a lot...mostly I assumed he was just staring at me. I dont want you to go through the trouble of uploading a video I was hoping some one knew of a youtube video or something simliar that I could just have a link too. I still have 13 days to make a decision if he has it and if I should return him...I think he looks beautiful tho. I might try to upload a pic soon. Thank you for your reply

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Is it an enigma? Can you post a picture. If its not an enigma then it cannot have the syndrome

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
Yeah; it can come in many different forms; but the main sign is any kind of equilibrium issue. If they seem off balance as they walk, or if they are startled they may flip over onto their backs in more severe cases: there are good vids on youtube just search "enigma syndrome" : if you private message me your email I can send you this vid I took. Cheers!

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
Is it an enigma? Can you post a picture. If its not an enigma then it cannot have the syndrome

Im new here and Im trying to upload the picture but it says it excedes the size...its weird cause this was from my cellphone I didnt think that the pics were that big. I'll keep trying

Edit: Its up, the gecko on the right. I can take more photos or ''better'' photos if needed...Im not sure what a enigma looks like. All help would be much appreciated, I want these guys to flourish and live long.
Leopard gecko1 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Well its not an enigma so it wont have enigma syndrome.
It could be showing signs of stress because it lives with another gecko. I would seperate them until they can be sexed.

Also those mealworms are dead, they wont be eaten

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
Well its not an enigma so it wont have enigma syndrome.
It could be showing signs of stress because it lives with another gecko. I would seperate them until they can be sexed.

Also those mealworms are dead, they wont be eaten

Ok thank you, and yes they were dead before I gave them to the two. I'll get another enclosure for them today and i'll go buy ''live'' mealworms and let them(the geckos) mature a little also. Thank you for identifying not enigma. Could any one tell me what morphs they are?

Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

Neither of those really strike me as enigmas. The one in the right looks like a Mack Snow. Walking in a circle once before picking a direction doesn't seem like it would be enigma syndrome to me. It could be some other neurological issue but I'm not sure that could be a conclusion reached from a picture.

As Katie said - don't feed dead bugs. Your gecko probably won't eat them and will go hungry but they start to decay just like hamburger and can make your gecko sick if he does eat them.

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
Neither of those really strike me as enigmas. The one in the right looks like a Mack Snow. Walking in a circle once before picking a direction doesn't seem like it would be enigma syndrome to me. It could be some other neurological issue but I'm not sure that could be a conclusion reached from a picture.

As Katie said - don't feed dead bugs. Your gecko probably won't eat them and will go hungry but they start to decay just like hamburger and can make your gecko sick if he does eat them.

Mack Snow, thank you. When I saw him I knew I had to have him and it was very busy at the store so I didnt have time to really look at him before I needed to claim him before some one else bought him. I never see geckos like this at these pet stores, only the type thats on the left.

Ozy

I got my gecko at a chain pet store. One of the "big 2" She's a Blizzard. And here she is looking cute :sweetheart:

Attachments

• CAM00139.jpg
    CAM00139.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CAM00108_zps7c352c7f.jpg
    CAM00108_zps7c352c7f.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 7

MiamiHurricane

Born of a Great Storm
Here is an example of enigma syndrome; I believe the stress of shipping activated the symptoms (as seller claims she was fine before shipped)

Due to this abnormality she wasn't able to be a part of any projects; but has subsequently been adopted.

Does ur animal display this behavior?

Enigma Syndrome: Equilibruim Disorder in Leopard Geckos - YouTube

That was hard to watch :-/ My gecko is nothing like that. I guess I was just over reacting to his personality of being in a new place. I feel bad for that gecko in the video and all geckos with that syndrome. That is terrible :(

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
The good news is she has a voracious appetite, huge curiosity, and docile behavior. Also, the more she is handled and can walk around the more the condition seems to improve: A grandma adopted her as a companion for her grandchild (who is also special needs); so went to a good home-

Glad your animal came around! So you will be keeping him after all? yay'

Visit our friends