Help! Leopard gecko eye problem?!

Reptile Barbie

This is the 2nd hatcling that this has happend to.
The eyes wont open until i soak them and put turtle eye drops in. They eyes will stay open for about 10 minutes then ill look in the tub and they will be just the same as they were. The first hatchling this happend to died because she couldnt see, and wouldnt eat because she couldnt see.

I do the soaking and eye drops every day, i also clean the eyes with a qtip with warm water on it.

Please let me know what i can do. i cannot take her to the vet because i have no money.

She is going into shed right now.

here are some pictures
002-14.jpg

001-12.jpg

prettyinpink

Since you didn't update this thread, I figured I'd post what you posted on the other forum.

"She just got thru shedding, and i had to help with her head. I pulled some shed out of her eyes, so maybe it was stuck shed?Her eyes are open right now, but i don't know for how long? :[

I posted this on geckoforums.net as well.

Shes in a 6 qt tub with paper towel substrate, a small hide and a pedialite lid for water bowl. & i dont spray anything in the reptile room unless its reptile safe. no smoking either. :["

I think maybe the shed you pulled off is making it infected/swell up? I'm not too sure how turtle drops are/work maybe that's making it worse.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly.

Theinfidel

Are you using basking lights or something? or it can probably be all the stress from the whole cleaning the eye with a qtip and the eye drops.

Reptile Barbie

Bad news.. i went to check on her and she had passed away :[
I was thinking that it actually may have been in the genes. The two hatchlings that died who had eye problems were from the same pairing but all of the ohter hatchlings i have are fine. When i first got the male (their father) i took him to get checked out and they said that his eyes looked abnormal, but it was nothing to worry about, so i didn't. I don't have him anymore, though, so theres not question that i'm not going to breed him anymore.

About the humid hide, i put those in there when they are going into shed, when they are done i take them out and put the regular one back in. I guess i should leave both in at all times just in case it's not the genes.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, i really appriciate it! <3

fl_orchidslave

I'm sorry this has happened. Sometimes, unfortunately, babies aren't meant to survive. A warm shallow bath often helps with stubborn shed and induces licking. I've used both a sterile eye wash from the vet and plain contact lens saline solution for sensitive skin for some minor issues. I honestly don't know about the turtle drops and if it has any kind of nutrient or detergents added, it could be harmful, especially for a baby.

Visit our friends