Help leopard turned nasty on me

Jpeck8

I have had it for a week now never objected to minor handling then Saturday I cleaned the enclosure and added a few hides and decorations then Monday its attitude changed and hates havering my hand close except when I feed it ( mealworms) temp is good and goes after the worms with gusto and even tried birding me through the glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 18

Neon Aurora

It's young. Leopard geckos get calmer as they get older. For now, just be patient. Some people say to spend a lot of time with your hand in the tank and stuff. Personally, I would just pick it up gently and hold it in your hand in the tank so if it runs off it won't get hurt. Be gentle, don't chase it around. It'll take a few weeks.

I've found if you make a big deal about it, so will they. With my more skittish ones (I usually only handle when I need to clean the enclosure), I just smoothly and gently pick them up by sliding my fingers and thumb under the belly and lifting to put them somewhere else. If you hesitate or touch and pull back when they move quickly, they're more likely to be freaked out. It seems to be mostly the picking up that they find scary. Once you have them calmly in your hand they're usually fine.

TLDR; Be calm and gentle, don't chase, and don't make a big deal out of it. Just pick it up and keep it low over the floor of its tank until it's calmer in a few weeks.

Ruvik

Thanks I'll try to ease in to it easier

well When you first gecko leopard geckos they do need a period to two weeks to adjust to their new Environment. With you suddenly adding stuff to the tank could have caused it to become stressed out. My advice would be to stop handling it for two weeks and let it get used to just seeing you. Only put your hand in the cage to feed. After those two weeks then you can start working with it little by little. It did that for all three of my geckos and they are all doing great with handling. My first ever gecko I've had which I have had the longest lets me cuddle her and kiss her head/body. Of course I don't do anything rough or force her. If she wants kisses she will let me. If not when I try to she will move and I will not try again til the next day.

Penelope24

When I got Lulu I didn't really handle her for the first 3 weeks other than cleanings and feedings. It took me a couple of months to "tame" her. She's a year now and I just put my hand in the tank (try not to come at them from the top, since most of their predators come at them from the top) I slip my hand under and she just walks up my hand for me to pick her up. Just be patient as long as it's eating and pooping the rest will come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emlee

I've had mine for a week tomorrow. Everyday when I put the food in the tank or clean up messes I make sure to lay my hand out flat so that it can smell it. Last night on its own (we don't know yet if it's a boy or girl) it climbed onto my hand. Like others have said be patient and just take it slow. Hope all goes well. :)

Visit our friends