Help removing shed!

mörten

You can soak her in luke warm water in a sink for about 20 minutes and then try to remove the shed carefully with a tweezer or a cotton swab. Just make sure that the water is shallow and be careful with her when taking her out of the sink as they can be a bit fast and skittish after bathing :) Check on the water temp so that is does not get too cold or too warm. Good luck :)

B&B Geckos

You can also put her in a Tupperware with just enough water to cover her feet. Use a rolling motion when using the q-tip. Soak for another 20 min and try again if it doesn't work the first time. If needed, you may also apply mineral or vegetable oil with the q-tip after soaking.

mörten

You can also put her in a Tupperware with just enough water to cover her feet. Use a rolling motion when using the q-tip. Soak for another 20 min and try again if it doesn't work the first time. If needed, you may also apply mineral or vegetable oil with the q-tip after soaking.

Do you have any tip on how to make the gecko actually stand with its feet on the water? My geckos just climb up the walls of the Tupperware and don't get much soaking :D

favrielle

When I had to soak my big male (for a hemipenal pouch infection, not a shed issue) I put him in a large tupperware with a hole-punched lid because he did not want to stay in the shallow water.

You can also put folded paper towels on the bottom of the container and moisten them with warm water until they're soggy. Keep the container warm, but not hot, and check if the stuck shed is softened after about 15 minutes.

ebuch

My female has retained shed on the toes of her front arm since I've had her. I blame this on the untreated problem of the previous pet store owners involving a retained shed on the lower portion of the leg.

It doesn't happen every time, just some times, and always on the toes of handicapped leg.

What I do for shed on the tips of her toes is mist the bottom of her feet with lukewarm water and let her hand walk and lightly roll the retained skin off with a q-tip or my finger tip, very gently, usually just holding my finger so that when she walks she'll scrape her foot against it, as she lifts the foot up to step again. She doesn't seem to really notice what I'm doing this way. If I can't get it off all the way I can at least get it broken enough to where it's just hanging and once it's at that point she takes care of it herself. To get it off all the way I have used a pair of pliers once it's broken and hanging but she doesn't seem to mind doing it herself and when she realizes that there is skin hanging off her toes it doesn't take her long to pull it off.

Last edited:

B&B Geckos

Do you have any tip on how to make the gecko actually stand with its feet on the water? My geckos just climb up the walls of the Tupperware and don't get much soaking :D

Place a paper towel as favrielle shared, and use just enough water to cover their feet to give them a better sense of security. Although, I havent tried it, I have a feeling that a round tupperware will prevent them from staying up very long, as it lacks corners. You can also watch them and nudge them down if necessary.

Last edited:

Visit our friends