Help: tip of tail red and hard

nessgo

Hi, I took my Leo to the vet yesterday as he’s not been eating and I wanted to get him checked over. They told me he looked really healthy and had fat reserves so not to worry but I’ve just fed him and he’s shed overnight and the tip of his tail has gone red and hard. There’s no stuck shed and I don’t think he’s hurt it on anything as nothing has changed in his tank. Should I be worried and what should I do? Thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
This happens sometimes. It could be due to the shed having constricted the end of the tail, a previous wound, getting the tail caught somewhere or sometimes it's just a mystery. It may happen that the end of the tail will come off and this isn't a problem. It is a problem if you see that the changes in the tip of the tail start to move up the tail or if there are streaks of red going up the tail, in which case the gecko will need to go back to the vet for treatment.

Aliza

nessgo

This happens sometimes. It could be due to the shed having constricted the end of the tail, a previous wound, getting the tail caught somewhere or sometimes it's just a mystery. It may happen that the end of the tail will come off and this isn't a problem. It is a problem if you see that the changes in the tip of the tail start to move up the tail or if there are streaks of red going up the tail, in which case the gecko will need to go back to the vet for treatment.

Aliza
Thanks so much Aliza. I think maybe he got stressed by taking him to the vets or injured it en route so was a bit dubious about taking him back and a bit freaked out by tales of tail necrosis! Im attaching a picture of his tail in case anyone has any other advice. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_5114.jpeg
    IMG_5114.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 1

Visit our friends