HELP! Toe twitching!

Kelsey12

Hey everyone, tonight when I was feeding Casiel, I noticed that a few of his toes were twitching, almost like a little seizure. I'm really worried about him, especially because I am going back to college tomorrow and I won't be here to observe him except for on the weekends. This is the first time I've ever noticed the twitching.

He eats mealworms dusted with Repashy Calcium Plush. It's the same calcium that he's been on for his whole life (he was hatched in August '08). The calcium is old though...it has just lasted so long and I've never had to replace it. Can calcium go bad, and could this be causing the start of MBD? I don't see an expiration date listed on the bag anywhere. His usual eating routine lately is that he will fast for a few days, and then eat (normally less than 10 mealworms). However, there's always calcium in his cage that he can lick up. Tonight he ate 3 dusted mealies. He used to eat like a complete pig when he was growing, but now that he's an adult, he doesn't eat so much. He used to be pretty chunky, but now he's nice and lean in my opinion, with a nice, fat tail.

Cas is housed by himself in a 40 gallon exo terra. The temp of the cool side is in the low 70's, and on the warm side it's in the mid 80's. However, there's a high point in his cage that gets really hot, as in 100+, which is where Cas was hanging out when I noticed the twitching. Was he overheating, or would he have had the sense to move to the cool area? He also has a humid hide. Cas is kept on slate tile, but over a month ago I had filled in the space that was missing a few tiles with sand. Bad move, I know, but the glass above the heating bad was exposed and we were out of paper towels. This was less than half of the cage's space. This was only for a few days, and I never fed him on the sand (he's a very finicky eater and will only eat when hand fed). Now he is 100% on slate tile, with paper towel in his humid hide, though there was frog moss in there for a few weeks.

So, what do you guys think? MBD? Or something else? Any ideas on what I can do? I'm worried for my little guy. He's at a good weight, active, and still eating; he's never had a bad shed in his life.

164011_496579383790_501733790_6409625_1362700_n.jpg

This is a really poor picture of his enclosure that I took with my laptop. On the left is the warm side. There is a piece of foam on each side of the cage that Cas likes to climb on. The top of the foam on the warm side is the hottest spot in his cage. There's a hiding rock on each side, and the humid hide is in the middle.

roger

Hey everyone, tonight when I was feeding Casiel, I noticed that a few of his toes were twitching, almost like a little seizure. I'm really worried about him, especially because I am going back to college tomorrow and I won't be here to observe him except for on the weekends. This is the first time I've ever noticed the twitching.

He eats mealworms dusted with Repashy Calcium Plush. It's the same calcium that he's been on for his whole life (he was hatched in August '08). The calcium is old though...it has just lasted so long and I've never had to replace it. Can calcium go bad, and could this be causing the start of MBD? I don't see an expiration date listed on the bag anywhere. His usual eating routine lately is that he will fast for a few days, and then eat (normally less than 10 mealworms). However, there's always calcium in his cage that he can lick up. Tonight he ate 3 dusted mealies. He used to eat like a complete pig when he was growing, but now that he's an adult, he doesn't eat so much. He used to be pretty chunky, but now he's nice and lean in my opinion, with a nice, fat tail.

Cas is housed by himself in a 40 gallon exo terra. The temp of the cool side is in the low 70's, and on the warm side it's in the mid 80's. However, there's a high point in his cage that gets really hot, as in 100+, which is where Cas was hanging out when I noticed the twitching. Was he overheating, or would he have had the sense to move to the cool area? He also has a humid hide. Cas is kept on slate tile, but over a month ago I had filled in the space that was missing a few tiles with sand. Bad move, I know, but the glass above the heating bad was exposed and we were out of paper towels. This was less than half of the cage's space. This was only for a few days, and I never fed him on the sand (he's a very finicky eater and will only eat when hand fed). Now he is 100% on slate tile, with paper towel in his humid hide, though there was frog moss in there for a few weeks.

So, what do you guys think? MBD? Or something else? Any ideas on what I can do? I'm worried for my little guy. He's at a good weight, active, and still eating; he's never had a bad shed in his life.

164011_496579383790_501733790_6409625_1362700_n.jpg

This is a really poor picture of his enclosure that I took with my laptop. On the left is the warm side. There is a piece of foam on each side of the cage that Cas likes to climb on. The top of the foam on the warm side is the hottest spot in his cage. There's a hiding rock on each side, and the humid hide is in the middle.

I have seen some of my leos feet twitch also.i dont think its something to be worried about.keep your eye on it.Although leos can tolerate 100 deg heat its not recommended.u want it between 88-95 deg on the warm end.if u are dusting with Repashy plus than i would suspect it is not MBD.u need a thermostat to regulate temps.once leos get to the adult stage their appetite is not a ravenous as when they are juvies

ajveachster

Is there somebody else looking after him during the week while you are at school that could inform you if they see a change? I wouldn't worry too much about the amount the animal eats. My adult leos get 15 mealworms every 3 days which averages out to 5/day and sometimes they still have some leftovers after the 3 days. If he doesn't eat for a couple weeks, then you might want to take him to a vet. I have also seen the toes twitch on some of my leos before. Usually it is short lived. If you notice it is constant the next weekend you are home or other symptoms develop, then you might want to take him to the vet. If it doesn't come back or you only see it happen every once in a while I wouldn't worry about it.

Visit our friends