Help (won't eat solid foods)

BriTheSoftie

I know this is under leopard gecko but I don't know where I can post for a African Fat-Tailed Gecko...
I got a African Fat-Tailed Gecko on October 4th, he seems happy and comfortable with his enclosure but won't eat any solid foods. The only thing he will eat is a powdered formula that you syringe feed geckos. I got it from Petco.
I have tried hand feeding him, ripping a wax worm in half, and leaving worms and cricket in his enclosure. He will stare at the alive insects and walk away.
Recently I have noticed that whenever he sees the worms or crickets move he runs away in fear. He is absolutely terrified of movement from the small critters, but he's fine with me moving? Today he was chilling out just relaxing and a wax worm came crawling over to him and he ran straight into his hide and watched the worm from a distance looking terrified.
I'm okay with syringe feeding him for the rest of his life as it is good bonding time and he is absolutely adorable, but I just want to know why he isn't eating anything other than what I call his baby formula and the syringe is his baby bottle.

Silas0526

I think you should try feeding him either pangea or repashy, but still try to give him insects. If it bites sometimes, you can put it in his face so he bites it. They do not have the instinct to eat them, so they need to eat one before they realize it is food.

BriTheSoftie

I think you should try feeding him either pangea or repashy, but still try to give him insects. If it bites sometimes, you can put it in his face so he bites it. They do not have the instinct to eat them, so they need to eat one before they realize it is food.
The worms won't work but I could try the repashy, though I don't believe it will work either. I tried smashing a worm and putting it in the liquid for him to try and eat it and whenever there was a chunk he refused to eat. Only will eat the liquid.

Silas0526

The worms won't work but I could try the repashy, though I don't believe it will work either. I tried smashing a worm and putting it in the liquid for him to try and eat it and whenever there was a chunk he refused to eat. Only will eat the liquid.
I would try the repashy. I have a crested gecko, and before he liked just pangea and liked it. For fat tailed geckos, they are insectivorous, but certain repashy types have insects.

BriTheSoftie

I would try the repashy. I have a crested gecko, and before he liked just pangea and liked it. For fat tailed geckos, they are insectivorous, but certain repashy types have insects.
I got Dubai Roaches yesterday and he isn't even eating them... I will look into repashy though.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Mix it with water according to the directions on the package and it will make a runny paste about the same consistency as what you're already feeding. Repashy makes a crested gecko diet and also Pangea makes it as well. I know that some of the Pangea does include insects (the flavor will say "with insects") and I'm not sure about the Repashy because I haven't been using it.

Aliza

BriTheSoftie

Mix it with water according to the directions on the package and it will make a runny paste about the same consistency as what you're already feeding. Repashy makes a crested gecko diet and also Pangea makes it as well. I know that some of the Pangea does include insects (the flavor will say "with insects") and I'm not sure about the Repashy because I haven't been using it.

Aliza
Okay thanks, I'm assuming it will be okay for a Fat-Tailed Gecko too?

BriTheSoftie

The repashy worked, I put some of it in his tank and he is currently sitting there munching it down ❤️❤️❤️
Thank you

Visit our friends