Helping another Affected my Gecko... HELP!

jmunoz87

So my friend's male started attacking his female and he literally opened up the girls leg. To help her get better, he asked if i can take care of her. I said sure since i have a relatively big tank (24x18x18) for my male adolescent (9-10 months) leo.

My leo has always been active and even when i brought her in and i dropped crickets he would climb over her to go hunting. However, a week later i noticed his apetite decreased. Around the same time the girls leg was healed also, so I had my friend take back the girl. I cleaned out the tank just in case and put him back in with new tile as opposed to the repticarpet that was there before. However, that was about a month ago and he's lethargic now. Doesn't hunt at all. Spends all day under the warm hide. I put a large cricket (which hes eaten before) in the tank without its two back legs and he ate it. However, 30 mintues later i found it regurgitated in the middle of the tank. I bought smaller crickets the next day and noticed he didn't eat anything for a few DAYS.

I bought wax worms at put them at the entrance of the tree. He went up to them, licked them and then ate them. However, he only ate about three before ignoring the others. THat has been his routine ever since.

I tried a horn worm and he ate it right away. However, I found it thrown up and flattened later.

I don't know whats up with him. His tail has gotten considerably skinnier than before and he's lethargic, which he never was before. I've caught him exploring every so often but he never leaves the tree. He doesn't go into the moist hide and he doesn't even set foot on the cold side. I'm thinking maybe the tile is too thick, even though my infrared gun is reading 34 degrees celsius on the hot side and 24 degrees celsius on the cold side... Any advice?

Samantha12

Perhaps your friend's female brought some parasites with her? Some type of worm explains the decreased appetite and regurgitation. Is his poop looking normal?

ebuch

Get the fecal matter tested for parasites at the vet.

Some things I've noticed that relate to what you're saying.

1. Feeding my geckos wax worms made them act funny. They still won't eat meal worms, only crickets, and I gave them wax worms only twice as a treat. So, I'd avoid that even as a jump starter.

2. When I moved my geckos to slate they seemed to feel out of place. Kind of unsure of the whole thing and a little bit more reserved to their hide, but they started coming around and acting like themselves after a few weeks.

Was the temperature 34 C when you had him on repticarpet? Slate can get pretty hot, maybe it's a little warmer than he's used to and it's messing with his digestive system? How much does your gecko weigh? Do you keep track of its weight from week to week? I started a spreadsheet to see if my geckos were gaining or losing weight and to track their trends. Are your geckos on any kind of light cycle?

I'd just take it to the vet, when it comes to regurgitation and weight loss there are a bunch of things it could be and when they're young you really don't have time for trial and error.

Visit our friends