Helping my geckos eat crickets

Alwayshotroddin

Hi guys!

I just have a quick question about crickets. Since the national mealworm shortage, last week I finally had to break down and buy crickets after I finally ran out of mealies. The problem is, I can't put crickets in my geckos tanks because they are custom wooden cages and the crickets run right up the sides!

So, I've been putting my geckos individually into a separate 10 gallon tank with about 7 or 8 crickets so my geckos can hunt them. But they aren't interested! Every now and then one of my geckos will spot a cricket and try to go after it but lose interest if the cricket runs away. I think my geckos are more interested in getting OUT of the tank then they are eating. And that worries me... it's been probably 5 days now since they have eaten.

Any advice? Should I cover the sides of the tank? I've tried feeding them during daylight and at night and the time of day doesn't matter. How long should I leave them in the tank for? I've tried just 10 minute intervals for each gecko (I have 3).

Thanks!!! :)

W

wings2fly

I would definately try and find a way to feed your geckos in the tank they live. My geckos are curious when they are not in their tank, not interested in eating. You might try putting a strip of tape or something smooth around the top of the tank.
As for the crickets, if they are moving to fast you could try pulling of the back legs to slow them down.

Blessings,
Carin

Visit our friends