Homemade SIM?

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
CapCitySteve said:
Ok everyone just for the record it was not my intent to sell their concept or product. I just wondered if anyone had tried to fashion something similar for their own personal use.

Yes, I have. I've actually even hatched out the first egg I ever put in my design. I think that's proof enough that you can design and construct your own and have very high hatch rates.

CapCitySteve said:
We're all trying to save some money and I think it would be possible to make somethng similar for less than $19 + shipping that works the same way.

You're correct there too.

paulnj

Agreed Steve and Maurice can indeed help you make one I would think. But remember that Squamata concepts is working on a model that will be more cost effective for smaller breeders.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Ok everyone just for the record it was not my intent to sell their concept or product. I just wondered if anyone had tried to fashion something similar for their own personal use. We're all trying to save some money and I think it would be possible to make somethng similar for less than $19 + shipping that works the same way. Unfortunately you prolly won't be abe to stand on it, LOL. I don't question the quality or craftsmanship of squamata concepts' product.

Steve,
Those responses were not directed at you it was directed at this...
I have something I have been working on for 6 mths or so and will be releasing them in a few mths.

Anyway, you can certainly knock up your own for personal use... But like I stated previously, we are producing the cheaper model... It will cost you more to knock up your own than it will cost you to buy our cheaper model... Plus you get a very professional looking incubation tool, not a shabby knock off... Also as stated, we are having the SIM/Hovabator solution built into the lids for those who use hovabators and other top heated incubators so ANYONE can use the SIM...

justindh1

. And for only $19, i don't think that you can beat it.

A $1 container at the store with probably 50 cents worth of hatching substrate seems to be alot cheaper and works really damn good in my setup! That beats it for me!

There may be differant ways to rig you up a SIM look alike but I doubt it would be of the same quality. It could but you never know unless you try. People have been doing it for years! It's good to have any quality product in your setup! Just because one person decides over the other doesn't mean it's right or will work better. If it works for you then stick with it.

Gregg M

Registered Member
If you dont mind if I ask what is the patent number ? Or is it patent pending ? thx

I suggest you do not push the issue here on a public forum and you go see a patent lawyer, get a professional patent search done before you "release" anything for sale to the public...

Thats about as far as I want to go with this here...

Last edited:
from my understanding the concept and design are part of the utility patent.

I will not argue, but would advise anyone to do a patent search to make sure they are kosher.

bent metal clothing hangers have patents. lol

Yes but you can not patent the clothing hanger it self. All you would have to do is change it 10% or more. If this where true all of our tupper ware containers would all be made by the same company. Same with cars or houses, and silver ware.
How about the spork ?

Keith N

Yes but you can not patent the clothing hanger it self. All you would have to do is change it 10% or more. If this where true all of our tupper ware containers would all be made by the same company. Same with cars or houses, and silver ware.
How about the spork ?

My brother just went through the same thing with his cigar patent. He patented a humidfier puck that will maintain your humidor at proper humidity. There was a company that came forward that had some gizmo for plants but because it was almost the same product he had to re tweak his product to make it not distinguishable from their product. You can have a non contact incubator for sale but it better be pretty different from theirs or you are in for a cease and desist and will have to redesign your product let alone the amount of money he had to pay for lawyers and redesign

They have products that suspend eggs over substrate for birds so are these people breaking the patent ?

Last edited:

Gregg M

Registered Member
How about the spork ?

Ok, I was trying to be nice but you continue on so I will let you in on a few things... We applied for the UTILITY patent for our product long before we released it... It is not a design patent...

Here is the definition of a utility patent compared to a design patent so it might sink in your head a bit...

Definition of a Utility Patent: In general, a utility patent protects the way an invention is used and works. Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new and useful method, process, machine, device, manufactured item, or chemical compound - or any new and useful improvement to the same.

Utility literally means has purpose or useful function

Definition of a Design Patent:A design patent protects only the ornamental appearance of an invention, not its utilitarian features.

Are you starting to see the picyure yet??? Utility Patents are good for 20 years from the time applied...

Tell you what, make your container and sell it, if you are that confident in your understanding of patent law... I am 100% certain my NYC patent lawyer knows a lot more...

They have products that suspend eggs over substrate for birds so are these people breaking the patent ?

No, they dont... How do I know??? We had a professional patent search done that cost a ton of money to have done... Nothing even close to our design or function...

Last edited:
Keith thank you for the heads up.

"IF I HAVE A PRODUCT OR IF WORKING ON ONE"

I would have to sell them to break the patent law.

It will be much different from the s.i.m this will work for gecko eggs.
They will be able to stack in side each other for storage.
The sim needs modification for both of these purposes.
Gregg I know you are going to post to this I am not attacking your sim.
I know you have put a lot of hard work into the design of this product just point out simple facts please dont be offended. thx

Last edited:

Gregg M

Registered Member
I will give a public appology for these posts.
Sorry to Gregg and all G.F. members.
I hope this will help.

No apology needed...

By the way, my product works very well for hatching geckos...

4366205457_fd22714b32_o.jpg

4057437048_809d3e6be8_o.jpg

038-2.jpg

004-14.jpg

I believe there are a few customers on this forum who have posted photos of their geckos hatching out on the SIM...

robin

as far as i can remember patents and patent numbers are public record

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

robin

ima be gettting some stenos soon better start on something smaller lol :p

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

SophiaDarcie

We have a solution...
We are producing an economy version of the SIM container... It will be cheap enough where it will cost you more to make your own so it would be silly to buy all the stuff to make a home made SIM unless you really like making your own stuff...

I made my own for not even $2... You going to sell them for under $2 shipped? I made 4 incubating containers. 4"x8" each. I'm not knocking on the SIM, it's a great idea and KUDOS to you to get it out there in the community the way you have. My neighbor and I (she's not on this forum any more) played around with plastic egg crate (the kind for lighting) and found a way to suspend the eggs without touching the medium and give 90-99% humidity in the container. She actually hatched one out last week using the system, 50 days in 81F and I have one due next week! We're both on the poor side, so most of my stuff is home made. Home made rack, incubator, tanks, etc. I just don't see you selling one for under $2... doesn't seem like it'd even be worth it on your part.

robin

As far as tatto gun alerations goes, I do not believe there is a patent on tattoo guns... Even if there ever was a patent on tattoo guns, it has long passed and now the design and function are public domain... Besides that, alterations to existing products do not break patent laws...
these are guns for pneumatic machines but ok i understand the different patents now.

Visit our friends