house gecko's

S

sportbike_rob

here in FL during the summer, we get little pale pinkish colored gecko's with black and white striped tails (on the smaller ones) and they also can change colors. a friend of mine called them house geckos because they always hang on the sides of houses and often make their way inside. i was wondering, do these geckos get very big, biggest i have seen was about 4-5 inches long. but i was wondering if anybody has ever heard of them? they are neat looking, i was wondering if they could be raised after being wild cought

S

sportbike_rob

gecko_0010.jpg

here is a pic of one i found on the net. anybody know about these?

K

kart

I would recommend searching google, you'll definitely find an answer. But since I happen to be in your thread, I figured I'd try to help. http://www.petco.com/caresheets/lizards/Gecko_House.pdf

I don't know about the wild caught thing, all I know is that they are fast as #@%#. So if you try to keep one, get a screen with the small little square in the middle, so its harder for him to escape during feeding.

Personally, I would say don't do it. I think its mean to take a wild animal out of its habitat. You can buy a house gecko at the petstore for like 7 bucks, and I'm sure the little gecko will be very thankful you got him out of there. :main_yes:

S

sportbike_rob

kart said:
I would recommend searching google, you'll definitely find an answer. But since I happen to be in your thread, I figured I'd try to help. http://www.petco.com/caresheets/lizards/Gecko_House.pdf

I don't know about the wild caught thing, all I know is that they are fast as #@%#. So if you try to keep one, get a screen with the small little square in the middle, so its harder for him to escape during feeding.

Personally, I would say don't do it. I think its mean to take a wild animal out of its habitat. You can buy a house gecko at the petstore for like 7 bucks, and I'm sure the little gecko will be very thankful you got him out of there. :main_yes:

very true, i was just curious about the buggers, cuz those are what actually got me into gecko's. nifty little guys....

L

ludothegreat

Yeah its definitely not a good idea to take them out of there natural environment, but they are pretty neat to keep. I have one and plan on getting a couple more and maybe down the road breeding. They are not very friendly, not good with being handled, drop there tails easy, escape very well, fast as @#$%, nocturnal, and hide even at night, but damn cool to look at when you do see them. That and there cheap and don't need too much when it comes to husbandry. Definitely worth getting if you can deal with all that and just like to look.

Here's some pics of Elvis The House Gecko. Notice his tail was dropped recently in the pics. All it too was a crix spooking him and he droped it.

http://www.ludothegreat.com/?page_id=22&lzkfile=Reptiles/Elvis+-+The+House+Gecko/

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kart

sportbike_rob said:
very true, i was just curious about the buggers, cuz those are what actually got me into gecko's. nifty little guys....
Yeah, they're pretty cool. I was originally going to buy one, but then discovered leopard geckos. :main_yes:

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Probably Hemidactylus frenatus.Hard to say.They are alot of introduced species in Florida.Also bringing it into captivity would not be a bad idea at all.providing you give it all the proper care.
Do you have any pics???

S

sportbike_rob

jsut the one i found off the net, i posted a link. i was wondering exactly how big they actually got, i've only seen them up to 4 or so inches but i think thats just the hatchlings that survive, because the small ones start appearing around june, and the four inch ones we dont see till august, so im thinking those are jsut hatchlings and the others get bigger. and in about september and october they dissapear till next year

T

Tokays_Unlimited

Well most Hemidactylus that thrive in Florida are a max of about 5 inches.
Some cork bark tubes and plants,and you are ready to roll man.;)

S

sportbike_rob

well, i think im gonna get somethig else...mabe a leo, or something in that price range/category. my mom wants me to get a bearded dragon, and i thought about it....mabe a possibility.

Z

ZachXBass

I just recently got 2 house geckos.... and yes they are extremely fast and hide very well... i thought mine had escaped because i hadn't seen them for 2 days. Then i found them inside a fake stone tower i have way at the top where i had previously checked.... they are neat when you actually see them.

Visit our friends