housing Leo after frogs?

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
As a temp home our fire bellies got housed in one of our unused breeder boxes. I know these frogs excrete a toxin from their skin. Should I toss the tub or is it safe to clean out and put back to use as a breeder box?

Dimidiata

As far as i know, FBT maintain their poison in captivity, though certain species of animal obtain their poisonous qualities from their food. I would take no risk and just give it a good hot rinse. I belive in the wild their dieat is mainly aquatic but they will eat anything that fits in their mouths. I know dart frogs have very mild poison in captivity and in the wild they are supposed to generate it from eating certain ants and milipedes and such, thats just a theory from what i know.

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
All frogs secrete a toxin in one form or another from their skin. FBT I BELIEVE keep theirs even when in captivity. I have owned PDF's and no they are not poisonous once off of their food in the wild. With the PDF's I had I just cleaned the viv pretty well with a warm wash cloth and gave it a good wipe down. This was also of course a natural vivarium that is fully planted so I couldnt clean everything. I now have a Mossy Leaf Tail gecko in the same tank. Not sure if this would be the same being it kinda creates its own eco-system. But I think you would be safe to keep it just wash it well.

Joao

v Snowflake v
You could let it soak in bleach for a couple of hours or more. Give it a day or two when drying so all the bleach evaporates .. or Sun dry it for quicker results.

Visit our friends