Housing some new Geckos

SACGecko

I have a male leopard gecko named gizmo approximatley 2 years old. I got 2 new females that I adopted today and they are about or a little over 6 months old. I am am trying to find a good time to add them all together. Thanks for your help!

I also am taking offers on names for the two new females. Plan to writes some names and put them in a jar and draw. So thanks for that also if you choose to have some suggestions!

Russellm0704

The best time to house them all together is never. Sorry. Geckos do not enjoy living together and thrive better on their own. Some have had luck with keeping females together but even females have problems with hogging all the food. Housing the male with the females will stress the females by them being overbred. NEVER house 2 geckos of Different sizes together. I know these aren't the answers you want, but it is the best way to give your geckos the best life possible. Congratulations on rescuing 2 geckos:) this world needs more rescues

SACGecko

Well I have read too many people say maybe don't house the male with them for overstress...even though many sites say they have done it. But the females shouldn't be a problem at all being a VERY large terrarium I have. It's 40+ gallons and they pretty much stay on their own areas. I have experience in leopard geckos in multiples but they were all the same size so I never had a problem, and were all females. I have never had a problem with females getting along just wanted to see if there was a way cause it still has so much room that the male could go in there also, but thanks for advice on the male.

sunshinegeckos

1) never house a male and a female together that you dont plan on breeding. Even with the females being 6 months old the male will want to mate and that could stress and/or harm the females

2) all geckos should be quarantined seperately for a min of 60-90 days

3) if after quarantine you want to house the females together then I would be ready to seperate them at any time if you see aggression.

I personally wouldn't do it.

Russellm0704

If you would read through some past threads on this subject(using the search button) then you would see the majority's opinion on housing geckos together. Most breeders even house every single gecko individually. And these breeders have decades of experience and testing with how to house them

rumbolt

Housing females together is fine, so no offense to anyone else but ignore those who say otherwise. Females rarely have issues in a large tank together. Just keep in mind they must all be nearly the same size, remove any that show aggresion in the first few days(very rare) , and rember their sight isnt the greatest so their may be tail nips when they think another females tale is food. The ladder being the main reason why big breeders dont house females together.. people dont want to buy geckos with tail tips gone!

tjmphx

I've got a few female leos together. I've never had an issue. Maybe it's luck maybe not. It's been 4 years and there are even times they hide together. I do tweezer feed to prevent one or two from being hogs.

SACGecko

I did read past threads...and they say different things cause it's different views. Saying to read previous is not helpful...not trying to be rude..but...it was just a question on others experience. I had a lot of private messages from people that didn't want to get in a debate (therefore I got private messages) which I think was kind of sad because it's THEIR experience they are sharing. My two females already live together and don't need to be quarantined. I was asking for future reference with my male is all. I have had leopard geckos before so this is not all new to me except with the different sexes. Thanks to the people that were helpful though!

Visit our friends