housing young geckos together

matchstickman47

ok so im looking to house my 6-7 week old gecko with some younger geckos

but at what age is it safe to add the younger geckos in with it cause i cant house my babies in the little tupperware box forever

cheers

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Geckos of different sizes should not be housed together, the bigger ones are likely to bully the smaller ones and hog all the food. I keep clutchmates together until they hit about 15 grams (5-7 weeks on average under my conditions), then split them up and house each one individually.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's safest to keep hatchlings together that are in about the same stage of development and the same size within a few grams. I start my hatchlings as clutchmate pairs, but if one gets significantly bigger I mix and match. However, I wouldn't keep a small older gecko with a larger newborn that has just started eating. I would recommend that when your younger babies are eating reliably and getting to be the size of the older ones it's safe to put them together, but you still have to watch them carefully. I have also kept single babies up to 20 grams in 6qt . tubs when I had to .

Aliza

matchstickman47

OKAY thanks i kinda get it .... soooo heres another question

i have a very peaceful female who is about a year old it wieghs in at abou 35 grams would it be okay to keep my 6-7 week old gecko with her ? she has been house with other geckos and i havent had any problems with her yet. i would be keeping them together in a large tub with kitchen roll as the substrate? both of them look old enough to house together but im not guna do anything without asking first ?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would really recommend you keep the juveniles, adults and younger hatchlings separate. They have different growing and feeding needs and may not do well together. Most people say that you should never keep geckos of different sizes together, though I have adult breeding groups where the male is over 100 grams and the females are 60-70 grams and everyone does OK. If you're having trouble housing the babies, you can get a 20 gallon long tank, measure and cut plexiglass to divide the tank into 3 sections and then you can put a pair of hatchlings in each section. That gives each of them 10"x12". I use front-opening tanks made by www.glasscages.com that are pretty inexpensive and can stack.

Aliza

Visit our friends