How do you catologue your hatchlings?

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I would like to hear how everyone keeps track of their hatchlings, such as hatchdate, pictures, parents, etc. Do you assign the parents a letter or number, and then attach it to the hatchlings, or do you use the morph that they are, or something else?

What's your system? I'm trying to develop one of my own, but it seems that I often have to change it for some reason because of something I didn't foresee.

Much appreciation in advance, everyone. I'm sure several of you have it down pat...

MiamiLeos

I'm just a small hobby breeder so I dont have more than 100 babies a year so my system is pretty simple. Every parent has a name (makes it easier on me than saying "eclipse het radar female in tub 4"). So I take the parents name, mother first, then the sex of the hatchling, then the number of the hatchling... soooo Celina and Donte's 5th hatchling that happens to be a male would be... CDM5. As far as birthdates and morphs and hets, I keep all that in a Microsoft document that I update quite frequently. It has literally al the info on every gecko I have in my facitlity, hatch dates, morphs, hets, sex, who was bred with who, etc. Hope this helps a little :)

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I give them an ID consisting of three letters from the morph name (ECL for Eclipse, MAS for Mack Snow, etc.) followed by a number in sequence. I have a program, unfortunately abandoned right before release, to keep track of all the details.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's my redundant system:
Hatchling names: I use part of the male's name, part of the female's name and consecutive numbers. So, for example, today I hatched "Galnec 11" which was the 11th hatchling produced by Galaxy (M) and Nectar (F). I find this easier than using initials, because "names" can be pronounced.

I have 3 systems for keeping track of hatches, morphs, sales etc:
Journal: I record when eggs are laid, when hatches happen (name, number, morph and days of incubation) and anything else of interest in a datebook
Computer: For each pairing, I list clutches by date, outcome of each egg, morph and final disposition (e.g. holdback, sold at show, etc). At the end of the season I add a paragraph for each female summarizing her season and a final paragraph summarizing the entire season. I do this in a word processing document
Notebook: I have a small spiral notebook with perforated index cards. I record each hatchling on a card and then add notes when relevant, as they change and develop. This is new for this year since I realized that I didn't have info about how a certain look at birth changed and developed, and my memory is not getting any better.

Aliza

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I use the parents initials. Example May x Damien is MD. Then I have the egg number. After that, it's the hatch date.

So a May x Damien egg that was number 3 that hatched on 6/7/10 is
MD036710. I write it in a notebook and label the bin with a sticker.

Spial15

youtube.com/spial15
I was just thinking about posting something like this. Very helpful! Thank you.

Taquiq

JK Herp
I do a method similar to Kristi's.

Example: TT0810

TT= The first name of the parents, female coming first. Taquiq Toklo.

08= The egg number laid from that season. 8th egg of the season.

10= The year it was laid. 2010

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I assign every baby a ID number similar to how tony does. I also I use stickers on their tubs which identifies gender and project (pairing info). This allows for a quick reference on what I have and how many I have of them.

The Gecko Person

I have 3 geckos so far, and this is how I ID them:

My file cabinet has tabs with my current morph lines in it. The first tab is labeled SHTCTB lines. All of the shtctb's will be in there. My first pair of geckos were 2 shtctb's, so they were SHTCTB1 and SHTCTB2. The hatchling from them is labeled SHTCTB3. I made pages with a table of color morph, pattern, sex, parents, hatch date, ID#, and other to label the geckos.

Visit our friends