How do you feed your geckos?

Keitone

I have been told that I spoil my geckos when I feed. I was just wondering what everyone else does, besides worm dishes.

I feed 4-5 days a week. I have recently acquired dubias so I have been using them almost exclusively. So, what I do is I use forceps to get a roach and wiggle it so they know it's feeding time, then let the roach go. Well, if they don't chase it I will grab the roach again and place it near them. The only issue with this is that it can put them off and then the wont eat. I was using meal worms before and they are easy, but the roaches tend to run to the nearest dark spot which is usually under the gecko.... I also have one girl that wont chase them really at all. So I have to either tong feed her or put the roaches upside down in front of her. I don't mind this with her she is a rescue and "special needs".

The roaches are just frustrating sometimes and if the geckos aren't that hungry they won't chase them. I would really like to make this process a little more efficient. It would be nice if they would chase them on their own. Would it be ok to let them eat on their own, supervised, as in if they don't chase it for them selves they don't eat? I just don't want to be the one chasing the roaches around the tank anymore, but I want them to eat as well. Which is why I end up chasing the roaches...

TheRed

I usually just leave the roaches on their backs, and most of them can't turn over. If they're still on their backs later in the day I'll take them out and try again the next day, because if they were hungry they would have gone after it. Sometimes the roaches flip over and hide in her hide. She eventually eats them if they go in there.

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
If they're hungry enough, they will eat. Some people hand feed all the time and don't have a problem doing so. I did that a long time ago when I had the time. I don't anymore so I just keep a bowl of mealies or superworms and fill up whenever they're empty. Once in a while when I have people over and want to see my collection, then I'll hand feed for their amusement.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
For leos I keep a dish of worms in the cage 24/7. I feed roaches once a week, and just drop a few in each bin. I've been feeding lateralis mostly lately which tend not to hide like dubia, and the geckos have a good time chasing them down. If there are any left the next day I take them out.

Shera

I spoil mine too. I mostly use superworms. I put it in and if they don't see it or go after it I poke it or flick it so it goes back toward them. I keep doing this until they eat it or just don't look interested, then I'll take it out. I mostly do it so they don't go under the paper towel, because once they are under there they hide out and I find them when I clean the tank. I tried doing a feeding tank, but they hated being in it, and wouldn't eat at all in there.

jermh1

I do mostly dubia roaches, I leave them in small dishes and they cant climb out. just reacently Ive beeen throwin in some meal worms just to get the geckos used to them.

STUTFL

I've yet to try roaches.
If he's gone hungry a while I'll just toss some worms in the dish and let him eat 'em like popcorn, but the other days I'll drop them on the other side of the cage and let him chase them down. Of course, they're worms, so they don't really go far fast. If one hides, I will dig it out for him though. No way I'm letting a bunch of feeders camp out in the cage decorations! ;)

Sometimes I take him out on the kitchen floor and let him chase bugs there, 'cuz they can't hide and he likes the kitchen floor. :laugh:

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
I either hand feed with fingers or tongs or throw food items in their tubs if they have just been cleaned. so they get used to hand feeding or free feeding. mine eat a variety of roach species and crickets. i do occasionally feed super worms and they are either tong fed or put in their calcium dish.

Visit our friends