How long can an egg stay in the lay box?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've gone away for the weekend and found the egg when I got back with no problems. Just make sure the substrate in the lay box is damp enough so the egg doesn't dry up.

Aliza

GreatGeckos

I depends on temperature and humidity in the lay box . I too have left for 2 days and came back to eggs . To much moister could drown the egg or cause mold build up. To little and it will dry up

quinnman999

Ok that makes sense because all she has done for the last two days was sit directly on the hot spot, dig, and eat. Thank you for the help.

OnlineGeckos

If you are expecting, then yes you need to dig through to find the eggs. They usually cover them up pretty well. The last thing you want is to find a dried up egg a week later due to not digging through the laybox. Happened to me once :(

GreatGeckos

So is it okay for me to dig through her lay box to try to find the eggs.

It matters what you're using in your lay box, when we used coco fiber I had to dig through it. Now that I use sphagnum moss, I can tell from it being messy when they dig that there's probably eggs in it. So I lift the box and look underneath and I can usually see the eggs. Sometimes digging is needed but that's half the fun!

Visit our friends