hummm... *dent* what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neill

Gecko Elements
Using hatchrite and new SIM container. Had 2 eggs early that went bad instantly that was just dud eggs. This time however I know egg is good. Its starting to show a dent. What should i do should i add more water? Can a SIM container ever have to much water? Whats best way to save dented in egg?

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
Using hatchrite and new SIM container. Had 2 eggs early that went bad instantly that was just dud eggs. This time however I know egg is good. Its starting to show a dent. What should i do should i add more water? Can a SIM container ever have to much water? Whats best way to save dented in egg?

I was just going to make a thread for this... I have been having the same problems.

Gregg.

Feel free to pm me. I will be keeping an eye on this thread though.

Gregg M

Registered Member
You need to be sure that substrate is up to the fill line... There needs to be at least a 50/50 perlite to water ratio... You should be able to make a "snowball" if you pick the perlite up and pack it a bit... If you are using vermiculite, it needs to be a bit more moist than usual...

Basically what you want to see is a slight condensation build up on the sides of the SIM container about one inch past the grid...

Did you set the container up before the female layed eggs???

If you did not add enough water, you can safely lift the grid out without disruting the eggs using the loops and add some more water...

If eggs are denting it is obviously not humid enough...

Please let me know how things go... It is important that I get all info... It may also help to talk with others who have used the SIM to hatch eggs and they can tell you how they did it as well...

Just on this forum there have been plenty of people who hatched leo eggs in the SIM like Paulnj, Thorston, myself, and a few others...

I have been doing very well with the 50/50 mix with incubation temps at 85 to 86 degrees...

Neill

Gecko Elements
Its filled right upto line. How ever i have a feeling its not 50/50 mix. I will add more water now. Hopefully its not to late.

Neill

Gecko Elements
Here is a pic of egg after paper towel has been on it for an hour. You can now CLEARLY see the bulls-eye on the left side. Still very dented tho. Any other ideas on what to do would be great.

IMG_1252.jpg

Johnantny

This cannot be a fertile egg. Its shell seems to be translucent! The shell should not be so thin that you can see the yolk without candling. This looks like an infertile.

robin

that egg is either infertile ,which would explain the denting or you are not feeding your females enough calcium because that eggs is very translucent and as john said the bullseye should only be seen when the egg is candled. i tend to go with it being an infertile egg.

paulnj

infertile.

I had issues in the beginning due to below the fill line and substrate too dry. I am running mine to the fill with 50/50 perlite/ vermiculite(didn't have enough of either to fill it) and the sub:water is roughly 1:1.2. condensation is roughly 1 inch above the grid.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I was actually concerned with the SIM having too much humidity, not realizing it should have condensation an inch above the line. I have had 6 eggs not work out, though mostly not because of the SIM. The 4 coleonyx eggs that failed did not seem to be good to begin with, but I also had 2 AFT eggs that seemed to be fertile. After a week, the one that still looked good was moldy, so I thought it was too humid. I left the cover off the (now empty) SIM and now the condensation is up to the fill line but not above. Do you think I should add more water in anticipation of more eggs? It's interesting that the condensation did not start to creep above the fill line until I put the eggs in there, so I wonder if maybe I should leave it alone till I have more eggs (hopefully soon).

Aliza

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I think with the SIM that you have to have much more water than you normally would use and it tends to look like it has more condensation than normal which causes a lot of people to dry them out. I have been using my SIM and have been doing very well with them. I am using vermiculite with the typical amount of water (so it holds form when squeezed) but I make sure it still drips just a little. I know a lot of people are having problems with the SIM for one reason or another but I think its mainly because you cant use the same techniques as incubating on the substrate.

paulnj

I think with the SIM that you have to have much more water than you normally would use and it tends to look like it has more condensation than normal which causes a lot of people to dry them out. I have been using my SIM and have been doing very well with them. I am using vermiculite with the typical amount of water (so it holds form when squeezed) but I make sure it still drips just a little. I know a lot of people are having problems with the SIM for one reason or another but I think its mainly because you cant use the same techniques as incubating on the substrate.

:main_thumbsup:

and every species is different :)

Neill

Gecko Elements
The egg was not see through like that until i used the paper towel on it. It is fertile. I put light up to it to see veins creeping up sides. ill keep working with it till it molds. All my geckos get dusts crickets all time and a calcium dish in tank.

paulnj

If you are sure it's fertile, cook it until it's a hard pancake or hatches. moldy eggs can hatch ;-) I have a clutch in my SIM that was laid outside the laybox and was severely dented.. plumped right back up with paper towel and is cooking in the SIM about 17 days in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visit our friends