Hurt leo

uhxxLeah

I just recived 5 healthy geckos from a seller on here and they are in my 55gal. 4 females 1 male, the male has no interested in the females as of now but i will be seperating them soon even though he is the intended breeding male. Last night i went to feed everyone and the Raptor had a chunk of skin pulled off of her tail from a nasty bite. I couldnt figure out what leo did it but i removed the raptor, cleaned the area, and applied neo to it.

I was just wonderin what everyone thinks will happen with her tail. Is there any bandage she wont rip off that i can put over it so it wont build up any possible bacteria? Is she more likely to heal or drop the tail?

thanks
Leah

Jordan

she wont drop the tail, if she was going to she would have dropped it by now.
A bit of neo and seperation from other cage mates was the right thing to do and should work a charm. It should just heal over time, with the good care you have given them.

sausage

BSc AMAS
I am NOT a vet but I’ve had the same problem with one of my breeding females. The male attacked her.
Vets gave me hibiscrub that you should be able to buy from a chemist. I mixed one part to two equal parts water and wash the wound once a day.
The hibiscrub is an antimicrobial so will stop any infection.
Just make sure she’s in a clean tank with paper towels so nothing gets stuck on the wound.
could you add a pic?
Good luck

roger

I just recived 5 healthy geckos from a seller on here and they are in my 55gal. 4 females 1 male, the male has no interested in the females as of now but i will be seperating them soon even though he is the intended breeding male. Last night i went to feed everyone and the Raptor had a chunk of skin pulled off of her tail from a nasty bite. I couldnt figure out what leo did it but i removed the raptor, cleaned the area, and applied neo to it.

I was just wonderin what everyone thinks will happen with her tail. Is there any bandage she wont rip off that i can put over it so it wont build up any possible bacteria? Is she more likely to heal or drop the tail?

thanks
Leah

just make sure her enclosure is clean

uhxxLeah

The tank she is in was cleaned two days prior to her being there with a bleach/water mix. It seems to be healing already. The male is going to a friend untill all my females start ovulating. If the male is gone would it be alright to put the raptor back in once her tail has healed?

thanks
Leah

sausage

BSc AMAS
yes it will be fine to put her back once it has 100% healed. not before thought as any open skin can still catch an infection and they tend to wall over each other which i think would be painfull for her.

JordanAng420

Why didn't you quarantine each gecko individually when you first got them? The whole point behind quarantine is to watch for signs of illness, etc. After about 30-60 days, you should SLOWLY introduce each gecko, one by one. But you MUST be prepared and able to house each gecko individually if need be.

As far as the injured one goes, I would keep her separate until you have a better idea of who might have instigated the fight.

Metal_Gecko

Gecko Ninja
Why didn't you quarantine each gecko individually when you first got them? The whole point behind quarantine is to watch for signs of illness, etc. After about 30-60 days, you should SLOWLY introduce each gecko, one by one. But you MUST be prepared and able to house each gecko individually if need be.

I think they came housed together as 5 already, which means quarantine was moot. ;)

-Wes

fl_orchidslave

Quarantine is still needed, to monitor feeding response and isolate any potential problems. There's no way to tell who does what if they are all together. Being in a new environment, they are all going to have some degree of stress. Don't you think it's a good idea to start out on right foot, regardless of what was done with their previous owner?

Jordan

Quarantine is still needed, to monitor feeding response and isolate any potential problems. There's no way to tell who does what if they are all together. Being in a new environment, they are all going to have some degree of stress. Don't you think it's a good idea to start out on right foot, regardless of what was done with their previous owner?

Agreed. Quarantine isnt solely for stopping parasites or other infections spreading, it is to monitor as well.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
The tank she is in was cleaned two days prior to her being there with a bleach/water mix. It seems to be healing already. The male is going to a friend untill all my females start ovulating. If the male is gone would it be alright to put the raptor back in once her tail has healed?

thanks
Leah

It may not have been the male that bit her. I do not condone housing Leos together for reasons such as these although occasionally it works out. I hope it heals well and no one else fights.

uhxxLeah

Her tail seems to be doing fine. All leos were housed together before i had purchased them, i am not being ignorant to the suggested quarentine.

I tong feed each leo atleast 4 mealies every feeding to make sure they all eat. They also have dishes always filled with mealies and supers available.

I have just moved my crested females into a tank together so i will be cleaning their 10gals and seperatley quarentining as suggested. The male is doing fine with his new owner (friend from up the street) and there hasnt been any other problems.

thanks
Leah

Visit our friends