I Still Hate Crickets!

JennyBeen

So at the expo today, we purchased "15" medium crickets (they gave us more like 25) as a treat for the geckos and our newly adopted bearded dragon. The idea was that we wouldn't have to house them and between the three animals, they'd be gone in a day.

Well. Not so much :main_angry:.

We basically re-did the bearded dragon's whole tank, so he's been too busy exploring everything and climbing his new branch to notice the ten or so crickets in his tank...I am hoping he snaps out of it soon and goes on a cricket-eating rampage!

Esper, our seemingly vision impaired, lazy as heck albino was just annoyed by them. She was trying to get comfy in her hide and they kept disturbing her nap by climbing on her. After 30 minutes, I had to recapture them all once it was clear she wanted nothing to do with them -_-.

Mardu has been my only saving grace in that he ate all five offered to him and seemed to have a great time, I'll admit, doing the excited tail wag and all each time. That being said, even as a younger gecko who normally eats like a pig, I think he'll be passed out in a cricket coma for the next day or two, and promptly went into his hide not to be seen again while he is normally quite active.

So now, I have at least a dozen dusted crickets in a cricket keeper, and am very grumpy about it -_-. We do have cricket food and thirst quencher gels, and being "medium" I am hoping they aren't old enough to chirp yet. But let me just say, I can't wait for them to be gone! They are such little jerks, as they hide and get under everything, try to escape, and bite the lizards. It's true that other feeders do this too, but the unpredictable movements get me the most...I just don't like them!!!

But some of you who had been following my posts can be proud of me that I at least have tried, and at least with Mardu, I have been proven that he does enjoy them quite a lot.

Maybe I'll just ask for five next time...just for him. :p

stager

Between the noise and the smell I agree. I stick to mealies, supers, wax worms, and an occasional silk or horn worm

laurahlove

Honestly I buy around 175 crickets a week. But I hate them with all my heart. They somehow manage to escape both of my cricket keepers and plastic bin with lid. They are all over my house, they especially love my shower, they are loud as all crap, and they stink. And they are just ugly little turds. But my chams loves em, and some of my geckos ONLY eat crickets. So, I have to buy the little butts.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

cricketlady

The best place to keep crickets is in a old fish tank like 10 gallon with a screen lid. If they start to escape you can put a layer of box tape around the top inside edge and they won't get out. For traps around the house you can set up a small stack of egg flats in the corners of your room and they will go to those. We set up these in our cricket barn and would catch a bunch each day. To keep the smell down you need to take out all dead crickets in the tank and if you get them in boxes, throw away the boxes. If you put paper towel rolls in the tank then you can catch them easily and put them in a baggie to take to the lizards cage. Some people put cricket dust in the baggie first.

Only the males are making all that racket. lol!

Visit our friends