I think my baby AFT has a birth defect. help please.

jbuckets

My fourth AFT this season hatched last night. I have never seen a baby hatch before, but noticed that this one had to struggle a lot to get out, including spending a little time twisted on its back in the process.

After hatching, I noticed (pretty obviously) that there was a large hump in the lizards back, almost like its spine is crunched up and needs to be straightened out. A day later and the baby still looks the same.

If anyone has experienced a similar deal with a hatchling, I'd like to know if the hump or whatever it is is permanent, if it is a defect that wont hamper the lizard from an otherwise happy existence, or if it is seriously messed up and in pain and I need to put it down.

Thanks SO much for your help

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
It's an incubation defect called a kink. It usually won't work itself out. Any kinked babies I hget are kingsnake food.

jbuckets

can you tell me any more details?

is it something unpreventable in the future? is the lizard in pain? if i can find someone willing to take it, should i give it away and expect it to live a normal life with the kink, or is it just better off being put down?

Last edited:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
It could have been caused by temperature fluctuations during the incubation process... but it is something that for the most part can not be prevented.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
If its moving, eating, and pooping just fine, it would make a good pet... however... don't trust others will keep it as just a pet... if you give it away.. make sure the person fully, 110% understands... that gecko can not be bred.... EVER! YOu never know... it could be genetic... nature has a way to correct itself..

jbuckets

thanks so much. i have a feeling that the defect was a mistake on my part in keeping the incubation temps stable, but that mistake wont be made again, and the baby wont be bred regardless. good to know it could still make a good pet.

GeckoFiend

Do you think it's from fluctuations or just rapid changes? I realize that they're both kind of the same, but with some other species, gradual temperature fluctuations result in more robust offspring whereas rapid spikes in temps cause issues.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Do you think it's from fluctuations or just rapid changes? I realize that they're both kind of the same, but with some other species, gradual temperature fluctuations result in more robust offspring whereas rapid spikes in temps cause issues.

I have had fat tail eggs drop to below 70'F overnight until morning when I realized my incubators were off. All 4 eggs left in that incubator, hatched a few days later than expected. One baby had to be helped out of the egg, that gecko is still alive and thriving.

No geckos came out with any type of birth defect and all are eating and growing at normal rates.

Every case different. Birth defects can be genetic or it can be caused by unsteady temps.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Someone on another forum had pictures of a baby leopard gecko that seemed to have a pretty severe (but different) spinal defect but after a day or so it straightened out. I'm not saying that will happen with yours, but give it a few days and see if there's any change.

Aliza

jbuckets

thanks for your help guys

unfortunately its been almost a week and the spine hasnt straightened out at all. it shed for the first time a few days ago and it still hasnt shown any interest in either crickets or mealworms...not looking good.

jbuckets

for anyone who cares

the baby has eaten, but only 4 crickets since hatching and is still extremely small and weak. no sign of the kink straightening out. well see how things go, im just hoping it can make a good pet for someone...

Dimidiata

I guess just keep an eye on him for a few months before you home him, make sure that the kink wont cause him any trouble as he grows.

jbuckets

ok ill hold on to it for a little while longer

thankfully, its been eating more regularly recently. what kind of problems do you anticipate could arise as it grows larger?

Visit our friends