incubate inside tank

bman123

I heard some where that people were incubating eggs inside a tank not a bator. They placed the eggs inside a gladware container and used a basking light for heat. What do you guys think of that?

I guess if you were small time you could do it. Like use a 10gal tank seal the top with plexi, use a uth and a rheostat to control temps. It would be very cheap and you would have alot of room for eggs.

I also saw on youtube someone did it in a tank with the pair 1.1 parents still living in there.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
While it certainly can be done, I don't really see the point in trying. By the time you buy an aquarium, plexi, heater, and thermostat/rheostat, you will have spent more money than it costs to buy a hovabater.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Someone posted on here awhile ago about letting their leos dig in the enclosure and bury their eggs and then have them hatch. They did hatch out and the babies were able to hide and survive. It was interesting and do-able but I don't know in the long run what the hatch rate and survival rate would be overall.

Aliza

Thats what we do with ours :) Very cheap very easy. Put vermiculite in a container, and put it in the cage, have the thermometer in and move it closer or farther away from the light for varying temps. Thats what we did the first time and it was amazingly simple. This time so we don't take up space in their enclosure we are using an extra heating pad under the container and its working good so far, no eggs yet but we wanted to get the temps right before hand :)

ddkgeckos

like the second reply says by the time you got all those bits you could of got a hovabator, so there's really no point although if you happen to have the bits lying about then sure i don't see why it wont work.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I tried to let my females hatch out the eggs awhile ago. It never worked for me. I could never keep the humidity right and there was a lot of fluxation. I cannot tell you how much easier it is just to have an incubator.

enigmaslim

Uf you have a farm supply store in your area check there. I found one near my job and they got bators for $50. I will get one this week. I got three eggs in the cage, in perlite temp at 90*F inside a tuperware bowl

Visit our friends