Infertile Egg (Dud) question and photo

Josh P.

Hello everyone,

When eggs come out like this, right after she lays, it's a clear sign of an infertile egg right? It looks like a water bag, not plump or round as a normal egg. Live it looks even more thin and with less volume than in the photo.

It's not worth to even incubate this one right?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Egg2.JPG
    Egg2.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 94

DrCarrotTail

That one does look like its infertile. Personally, I put questionable eggs in a separate container from those I know are good and incubate anyway until the egg starts to grow mold or smell.

Josh P.

That one does look like its infertile. Personally, I put questionable eggs in a separate container from those I know are good and incubate anyway until the egg starts to grow mold or smell.
Thanks for the reply. Just a question, if we slightly bend a gravid's gecko back to see the eggs, is there any chance for her to lay them prematurely or is it safe to do so?

DrCarrotTail

As long as you're gentle I don't think it would be an issue - especially if your gecko is used to being handled. I wouldn't do it every day though.

Josh P.

It looks like a maggot that's gross

I guess that's a matter of opinion and sensitivity. I don't see any form of animal as gross, maggot or otherwise. Many people describe leopard geckos, snakes and other reptiles in general as gross -- I find them adorable. It's all a matter of perspective.

Josh P.

As long as you're gentle I don't think it would be an issue - especially if your gecko is used to being handled. I wouldn't do it every day though.

Is it possible for a gravid female to lay a bad egg and as she still has another inside her which she hasn't laid in 4 days, to lay it later?

Visit our friends