Is anyone familiar with mbd?

Rawly

I recently rescued a little female leopard gecko off of craigslist. I could tell by the pictures she was not healthy and not being taken care of properly. So I went and purchased her. I think she has metabolic bone disease but Im not entirely sure. I have never had this sort of issue with a gecko before. I took some pictures of her body to see if anyone can help me find the source of the problem? Any input is appreciated.

IMAG0772.jpg IMAG0816.jpg IMAG0817.jpg

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In the closeup pictures the swollen elbow joints suggest she may have MBD, but I am neither a vet nor sure. Usually signifcant MBD shows up as rubbery limbs and I don't see that. Once the gecko has symptoms I believe the symptoms don't improve but it's possible to halt the decline. At the minimum, you should start supplementing with calcium and D3. If the gecko isn't eating yet, you can dip your finger in water, then in the calcium powder and put some on her mouth, which she will probably lick off. It may be a good idea to take her to a vet as well to see if she needs a calcium injection or some liquid calcium.

Aliza

Mclaughlin

Don't forget vitamins! Vitamin A deficiency can show the same symptoms of MBD. I had this issue with one of mine. Once I noticed I upped intake. Mixed supplement with water and used an eye dropper to administer the liquid to my gecko once a day. She was back to normal in less than a week.

DrCarrotTail

As Aliza said the MBD is usually rubbery limbs as the bones soften when they dont have enough calcium. Those bumps in the shoulders could be something associated with MBD or it could be a break that healed wrong, or something entirely different. I think you need to take her to a vet that can check her out in person.

I would definitely get her off that blue sand. If geckos eat the sand it can clog up their digestive system and hurt or kill them and The blue toes are strange and hopefully not harmful. Paper towels or stone tile are much better choices as substrates.

Visit our friends