Is my leopard gecko healthy?

batsyboo

- Sex
I'm not sure, it's a baby

- Age & Weight
I am still not sure, I'm guessing he's about a month old but I don't know. I also don't have a sensitive enough scale to check weight

- How long have you owned your leo
One day

- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)

A breeder

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo

Every day since I got them (so two days) for about fifteen minutes

- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now.

No

- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.

Not that I know of, it seems very active and healthy but I just want to find out about the tail

B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal)

I haven't seen any fecal matter yet

- When was the last time he/she went

As I said, I just got them yesterday and they haven't pooped

C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on

I just want to know if the tail looks healthy and not too skinny. I know the tail can indicate if they are malnourished or starving and a plump tail is healthy. So I want to know if they look at a healthy weight

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size

10 gallon, 12 in x 9 in x 5

- Type (ex. glass tank)

Glass tank

- Type of substrate

EcoEarth

- Hides, how many, what kind

3. I have one hanging from the wall that looks like a rock, and two tree trunk hides. One at the warm end, one at the hot end and one at the cold.

B) Heating
- Heat source

Under the cage heating mat

- Cage temps (hot side, cool side)

I'm not sure, as I just got them yesterday, I haven't had a chance to measure them. But I have a temperature gauge I'm going to put in there tomorrow

- Method of regulating heat source

My house has a precise heating system

- What are you using to measure your temps

As I said, I'm going to put the gauge in there tomorrow

- Do you have any lights (describe)

No

C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)

None

- Describe health, or previous problems

I haven't have any problems with his health, he acts happy and healthy

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much>

small mealworms, I put them in a little cup that he has all day access to

- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect)

I've tried feeding by hand but he doesn't seem interested when I tried giving it to him

B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)

I use reptiCalcium, I sprinkled it on the meal worms before I put them in his cage. And he also has all day access to a small dish of powder calcium

- What are you gut loading food with

Flukers cricket food for both crickets and mealworms

Last edited:

batsyboo

attachment.php

Here is Picasso

Attachments

• IMG_20161215_213701.jpg
    IMG_20161215_213701.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 26

Neon Aurora

He looks a tad on the thin side. I'm always suspicious of breeders willing to sell them so young. It's really not in the best interest of the animal.

A few things you can improve:
Don't handle him for at least 1-2 weeks. He will need time to settle into his new home and will be stressed.
I wouldn't use ecoearth for the substrate. Young geckos are very susceptible to impaction, which can lead to death. You should replace it with something solid.
You should have a moist hide. This is usually a tupperware with a hole cut in it filled with something moist. At that size, I personally use moist paper towels because of impaction risk.
If your UTH is not regulated, you need something to regulate it with (thermostat or lamp dimmer). Otherwise you risk burns.
You should have a digital thermometer with a probe, not a dial. The ground temperature on the warm side should be 90 F and the cool side should not get above 75.

batsyboo

I'll put some paper towels jn there until I can get some repticarpet. That okay for them, right? He seemed okay with me holding him, calm and even laid down in my palm but I won't hold him for a few weeks if it helps him settle in. I do have a moist hide, it looks like this and I have ecoearth sprayed with water inside of inside of it to keep it moist but I guess I'll use paper towel now:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Is this okay for a moist hide?

I'll get a new thermometer when I get enough money, which should be soon

Attachments

• p-92071-81029R_039-reptile.jpg
    p-92071-81029R_039-reptile.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 37
  • alt-92071-81051R_002-reptile.jpg
    alt-92071-81051R_002-reptile.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 37

Neon Aurora

That humid hide will probably work for now. He may outgrow it as he gets bigger because of its shape. You can use ecoearth in the humid hide if you prefer, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I definitely would recommend not handling him for a week or two. He will settle in much better.

A thermometer and method of regulating your UTH should be a high priority. I've seen burns because of unregulated UTHs.

Visit our friends