Is this Mouth Rot?

Ishtoya

I adoped a gecko a few months ago from a friend of mine. She's ten years old, all her sheds and temps have checked out over and over again.

Ever since I've gotten her, she's had these brown patches inside her lips. (See image) They're not big, and they don't seem to be getting bigger, but it seems to look like mouth rot to me and I'm worried.

Also, since I do need to take her to the vet soon anyway to get her set up with our vet, I was wondering if I should let her lay her eggs first. She's due to lay them sometime this week, I believe (mostly because she's getting awfully tubby down there with egg). They're not fertilized or anything, but she's going to lay them regardless.

If it is mouth rot, and I should take her in asap, definitely let me know. I just want to make sure she's as healthy as can be without stressing her too much, if I can help it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 11

mörten

First, congratulations to your gecko :) She is gorgeous! I suspect that she has mouth rot as her lips seem uneven and have an irregular shape. I know you don't want to stress her out this week, but when is your appointment with the vet?

Ishtoya

Thank you, and I haven't scheduled one yet, but my local herp vet isn't terribly busy so it's quite easy to get in. I'll call and schedule an appointment for her asap. Thanks!

DrCarrotTail

I think going to the vet is a great idea. I might also try a "sauna" treatment and soak the gecko in 95 degree water for 10-20 minutes. This type of mouth issue could be caused by stuck shed and if it is the soak may help and can't hurt :)

Ishtoya

Oh yes, sorry!

Vet told me it wasn't mouth rot, but some irritation inside her gums. Probably from bad sheds or from being housed on sand before I got her. She cleaned up the scabbies and sent me home with some topical antibiotics to make sure it healed nicely. Her lips have returned to normal and look uniform all the way around. I'm going to run her the course on the antibiotics, but I'm pretty sure she's good now!

Thanks for all the help!

She still hasn't laid her eggs however, but she's alert and still pooing, so I think I just miscalculated how long they've been developing. Hopefully soon, though!

mörten

Ohh thats really good news! Im so happy it wasnt mouth rot and that her lips have returned to normal :D You have to post a new picture of her :D

I hope she layd the eggs soon and gives beautiful and healthy babies :D

Good job taking her to the vet :D

Visit our friends