Is this ovulation or gravid?

I took in this leo now my 7th:) as the previous owner realized (after the fact) that she had a male not a female housed with her. She said she saw them "lock" on June 17th. I took these pictures this evening just before making this post. Was just hoping to get some opinions thank you all in advanced!

Attachments

• 20230717_223132.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's both. The upper circles are ovulation and the lower ones are eggs. She may lay soon. If it's her first time, the eggs may not be fertile. If you want to try to hatch them, you'll either need to find someone who can incubate them for you or you'll need to make or get an incubator. The classic beginner incubator is called a Hobovator. I recommend you read as much as you can online about breeding leopard geckos. If you can't get everything together by the time she lays, she'll probably lay again 2 weeks later.

Aliza

It's both. The upper circles are ovulation and the lower ones are eggs. She may lay soon. If it's her first time, the eggs may not be fertile. If you want to try to hatch them, you'll either need to find someone who can incubate them for you or you'll need to make or get an incubator. The classic beginner incubator is called a Hobovator. I recommend you read as much as you can online about breeding leopard geckos. If you can't get everything together by the time she lays, she'll probably lay again 2 weeks later.

Aliza
Thank you! An yes I actually have an incubator an all of that thankfully still as I have bred crested geckos in years past. It's just been awhile an I havnt seen the ovulation to laying process with a leo yet. Definitely excited to candle the eggs once laid. I know there's a very good chance of infertility though as she was a little lighter than recommended when she was mated with the male by her previous owner. I was more worried about the time since mating on June 17th to now as I've heard egg binding could happen with underweight bred females especially first year ones. I really hope she lays asap just to give peace of mind even if they are infertile this clutch.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She looks pretty close to laying. When I was breeding it wasn't unusual for even some of the experienced breeders to lay a clutch or two of dud eggs before things got going. Keep us posted!

Aliza

She looks pretty close to laying. When I was breeding it wasn't unusual for even some of the experienced breeders to lay a clutch or two of dud eggs before things got going. Keep us posted!

Aliza
I will update as she goes! Thank you! I really hope she lays in the next few days!

Visit our friends