Just a treat

NESIRSUSEJ

Hey everyone

I have had my leopard gecko ( female ) for a year and 2 months now, and recently started feeding her silkworms and/or superworms, also once a week a cricket. But I was wondering, should I give her silkworms and superworms just as a treat or is it okay if she eats it everyday? She is 1 year and 6 months old. I used to give her mealworms and crickets, but recently realized that she doesn't want to eat the small mealworms and the petstores where I live don't sell the medium - large ones. I don't powder dust the silkworms but I do powder dust the superworms. She also first licks the superworms a couple of times and then grabs it, does that mean she doesn't like it or is that normal?

robin

a staple of crickets and superworms are fine for her. if she licks it she is just "tasting" it. it does not mean she dislikes it.

reps4life

Hey everyone

I have had my leopard gecko ( female ) for a year and 2 months now, and recently started feeding her silkworms and/or superworms, also once a week a cricket. But I was wondering, should I give her silkworms and superworms just as a treat or is it okay if she eats it everyday? She is 1 year and 6 months old. I used to give her mealworms and crickets, but recently realized that she doesn't want to eat the small mealworms and the petstores where I live don't sell the medium - large ones. I don't powder dust the silkworms but I do powder dust the superworms. She also first licks the superworms a couple of times and then grabs it, does that mean she doesn't like it or is that normal?

It's normal. Some geckos won't eat superworms for whatever reason. Rotating crickets and silkworms would be a good diet. The more items you can add, the better.

Desdemona

From what I've read so far the only common (ie you can buy them online) bugs you don't want to give them on a reg basis is butterworms (acidic) and waxworms (fat). Anything else, the more the merrier... ie the bigger the mix. So, mealies, supers, crickets, roaches, silkworms, reptiworms, and baby hornworms (be careful they grow FAST). I don't know about nightcrawlers yet, haven't really looked into it since cleaning them looks like a serious PITA. Though you might be able to just let them dry and "crawl" off the dirt (which is what I do for the reptiworms).

Desdemona

I think its a mix on this board, mealies and dubais are common as well. I use a mix, no real staple. But if I have an excess of one thing that is "growing old" or to big then they will get more of that than another.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

grboxa

ive been told that silkworms are the best feeder insect you can feed...and I agree ive been using silkworms for a staple for about a month now and I can aready see a big difference...they gain weight very quick. If financially you can have them on silkworms as a staple do it!. You are what you eat, there are many advantages for silkworms, alot of nutrients and easy to care for....but a bit pricey:main_thumbsup:......ive also read that superworms should not be fed as a staple because of the fat content...my opinion...dont use superworms as a staple and switch with silkworms. I feed both my leos 2 silkworms a day and theybe been gaining weight no problem.

reps4life

I'm curious as to why you say this. The only feeder I've really seen that isn't recommended are waxworms. Are you thinking of those, maybe?
No, I am completely aware of the difference.
The fat content is a bit high and the nutrition is on the poor side when compared to other feeders. They also can cause digestion problems if fed too many.

Last edited:

Visit our friends