Leo bites ?

Have you been bitten by a leo ?

• Yep and it hurts . . . thought it was going to take my finger off !

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • Yea but it doesnt hurt much

Votes: 166 62.2%
  • No - My leos would never do that to me !

Votes: 81 30.3%

• Total voters

Chainsawsurgery

I'm gonna revise my post, Nut just bit my finger cos she thought I was a wax worm. It doesn't hurt, but it's unexpected coming from my normally sweet and more cautious eater!

bittner_344

www.theurbanreptile.com
Lol good thread! We have a couple big males here that have gotten a little feisty over the years. Personally a good bite from a big adult male really hurts and can easily break the skin :) I feel like they somehow get joy out of a good bite :p

chalkolotcake

I remember when I was holding my gecko Icarus one time and I guess she didn't want to be held, but I remember looking down and she was biting my hand. I didn't even know it until i saw it. lol but that's the only time shes bitten me.

Anaseb

I've had younger ones, (you know the ones that are a touch more vocal than most hatchings, and stay that way for a few months) bluff me when I woke them to clean their cage. 'Bluff' as they do the obligatory warning screech mouth open, but when I pick them up they just tap me with their open mouth but do not bite down. It's happened enough that I had zero fear of the bite, but still let me know to slow down let them get their bearings before picking them up. All of them grew out of it though.

XoVictoryXi

Leopard Gecko Mami
i actually just got bit accidentally yesterday, my male is ferocious during feeding time. LOL. did not hurt a bit, however, by instinct I yelped!!

I have been bitten by Tennessee once and Kaliope almost bit me.
Tennessee bit me because I had calcium on my hands and was hanging from my finger in midair and had to gently shake her off, and Kaliope almost bit me 'cause she was like that's enough for one day!

GexPex

Been getting bit by my new baby leo a lot lately....I just laugh. None of my adults have ever bitten. The closest I got to the inside of their mouth was a tongue-lick. I guess I didn't taste good...lol

TigerJon

Wow, this is all a bit unsettling. We are getting a Leo soon and my 9 year-old daughter will be primarily responsible for its care. I can manage a bite, but I'm afraid a bite she would receive will cause enough fear of it she'll want nothing to do with it. Is there a way to train it up to not be predisposed to biting us? When we get it it will be around 2 1/2 to 3 months.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Wow, this is all a bit unsettling. We are getting a Leo soon and my 9 year-old daughter will be primarily responsible for its care. I can manage a bite, but I'm afraid a bite she would receive will cause enough fear of it she'll want nothing to do with it. Is there a way to train it up to not be predisposed to biting us? When we get it it will be around 2 1/2 to 3 months.

All pets can bite. Teach her to give it space and to be gentle, she'll be fine.

Josh P.

Actually, most kids have dogs and cats as pets which can and do cause far more severe wounds than a leopard gecko ever will. It's a much safer pet.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Actually, I've been bitten where it drew blood about a half-dozen times, but this incident was when I was trying to wash the poop off of one of my males in the sink, and he chomped down at the base of my thumb and did alligator rolls for what seemed like over a minute! When he finally let go, I could see my knuckle bone poking up through all the torn flesh and blood. I called my husband to come look, and asked him if he thought I needed stitches... he turned white and said, "Ummm, y-y-yes". LOL!

OUCH!!! Marcia you won the most gruesome bite of the loving leo world!! :main_thumbsup:

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
Nihlus, my Snow male, has always had a major attitude, but he hasn't bitten me since he was a juvenile. Of course, I made the mistake of saying that out loud recently.

I was holding him last night, and he started getting wriggly like he wanted to go back to his cage. I was talking to my brother, and told Nihlus to be patient. Nihlus looked me in the eye, then very casually and deliberately opened his mouth and chomped my middle finger. He let go on his own, and didn't do any damage at all. I think he was just trying to get his point across!

Visionist

Both my male and female would have to be forced to bite. The only time my male has tried was when I had to restrain him and pry open his mouth to treat the mild infection he had from a cut on his gums.

PFGeckos

So far, my leos haven't bitten me. Snowdrop, my blizzard, makes squeaky noises for attention once in a while and gives licky kisses. She's so sweet!

I've been bitten twice by cresties, though. One of my juvies is cranky and makes angry er-er-er-er noises whenever she doesn't like what I'm doing. When she was a hatchling she had a band of shed stuck around her toe and I gently removed it with a wet cotton swab. After I finished and went to put her back, she bit me and was surprisingly strong for a little one.

One of my females, Quinn, absolutely hates having her cage cleaned. If any of the geckos gets its cage cleaned, she's watching and ready to do a spazz out. Anyway, I went to wipe some poo off the inside of her cage with her inside and she let me have it.

But both of them are cresties. So far my leos haven't even tried to bite me.

Last edited:

nickburrafato

Gecko attacked another and I need help

Hello All,
I wanted to start a new thread but it has been so long since I have done it that I forgot how to.

I was just cleaning both of my gecko's cages and put them together for 2 min and that is all it took. My 110 gram male beast bit my 75 gram male and put a big bite on his back. The skin in laying in the right position but is obviously detached from his back the size of one huge gecko bite. Any ideas on what I need to do to treat him? He is 4 years old and very healthy.

Thanks

Nick

Visit our friends