Leopard gecko refusing food

Sunniestjoker43

Hello! I am very new to reptiles and this is my first time taking care of one so I figured this would be a good place to start. I have a leopard gecko who is about 11 months old. I had been feeding him mealworms and crickets and he had been doing fine until recently when he stopped eating. He is not acting very lethargic or slow and still remains pretty active and doesn't respond negatively when I go to pick him up. He also has not used the restroom since he stopped eating. I'm not sure what is going on but would greatly appreciate any advice. If any more information is required just ask and I will answer.

edit: I would also like to clarify that he has tried to eat and just doesn't want to. I watched him one day after placing some live mealworms into his food dish and saw him grab them and crush them in his mouth, only to spit them back out. He did show any signs of pain or distress when picking up the worms. He just kinda changed his mind or something.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Take a look in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have any sores. Has he been getting calcium and vitamin D3 supplements?

Aliza

Sunniestjoker43

Take a look in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have any sores. Has he been getting calcium and vitamin D3 supplements?

Aliza
I have been coating the insects I feed him in a calcium and vitamin powder before feeding them to him. In terms of the sores, I just took a look at him an don't see anything out of the ordinary around his mouth or face. What exactly would I be looking for just to be sure?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The sores would look like a raw or crusty spot on the gums. I was asking about supplements (I'm assuming the vitamin powder includes vitamin D3) because if the gecko wasn't getting that it would have made its jaw soft and it would have trouble chewing. I have no idea why he's rejecting the mealworms. Are you willing to try crickets to see if he wants a change?

Aliza

Sunniestjoker43

The sores would look like a raw or crusty spot on the gums. I was asking about supplements (I'm assuming the vitamin powder includes vitamin D3) because if the gecko wasn't getting that it would have made its jaw soft and it would have trouble chewing. I have no idea why he's rejecting the mealworms. Are you willing to try crickets to see if he wants a change?

Aliza
Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday I fed him crickets by hand and he finally began eating. He did have a hard time at one point though and dropped a cricket even after taking it from me. I also saw no sores on his mouth or face. I was only ever told of the powder. The ppl I got him from said that so long as I dusted a bit on every meal he would be fine. What supplements do I need or how could I get them?

Sunniestjoker43

Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday I fed him crickets by hand and he finally began eating. He did have a hard time at one point though and dropped a cricket even after taking it from me. I also saw no sores on his mouth or face. I was only ever told of the powder. The ppl I got him from said that so long as I dusted a bit on every meal he would be fine. What supplements do I need or how could I get them?
Oh btw, I usually alternate between the crickets and mealworms weekly.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The supplements are in the powder. Check the ingredients. There should be calcium and vitamin D3. It's actually best to dust the feeders every other feeding to the gecko doesn't get over supplemented.

Aliza

Visit our friends