Lighting advice

alex111

Hi I have a leopard gecko in a wooden tank with a glass front.
Exactly like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pidwJEdgL.jpg

I want to buy some UV lighting but what exacly will I need. I have looked at the lighting tubes and reflectors, but is that all I will need? Do I need something else to actually connect the tube to to power it etc? And how will I fit it to the tank? Make 2 holes in the top?

Any advice or product suggestons would be welcome thanks.

Ruvik

Leopard geckos don't need UV lighting.. So my suggestion is to not bother with UV just supplement them like you should be doing and you'll be fine.

Neon Aurora

Many breeders keep leopard geckos their whole lives with no UV lighting or access to natural sunlight, so I agree with Ruvik that is not necessary. The important thing is to make sure that you use proper supplementation and gutloading methods and you will not have a problem. =)

Last edited:

Ruvik

This is what annoys me. The only reason that gecko has MBD is because people didn't supplement that gecko correctly. They most likely assume that because the leopard gecko didn't need the UV and didn't need supplement either. People have kept Leopard geckos for YEARS without a UV light. With the right supplement schedule you don't need UV at all. Do more research than just believing some link someone put. I'm pretty sure any reptile could go without UV with the right supplementing. Though some are just easier to just have the UV. In leopard gecko case. It is easier to go without it. What you risk when having lighting for their tank is damage to their skin. Leopard geckos have very sensitive skin and could end up with damage to it. I wouldn't change something that doesn't need to be fixed. If you watch all the breeders videos, not a one of them have UV lighting and all their geckos are very healthy and thriving due to supplements. I don't care what any video or some health site says. I go off of those who own the animals for many years and know what they are talking about. If you ask any breeder they will say they do not have UV for their leopard geckos.

indyana

I provide lighting in my display cages. I use small fixtures with a UVB100 bulb. For me, it has the dual purpose of providing a clear day/night cycle in my not-well-lit house and giving them the option of basking to help with D3 production.

If you decide you want to have lighting, stick with a low-wattage fluorescent. Not sure from the picture how large the enclosure is, but you'll have to be careful not to overheat it with a fixture that is too large, as there isn't a lot of ventilation on it. For UVB levels, 2-5% is plenty. Check the distance recommendations for bulbs and ensure the distance from top to bottom is not too close.

For installation, you can avoid probably avoid screws or glue by using heavy-duty adhesive fasteners pieces like these:
Amazon.com: 3m Company RF9731 Self Stick Re-closable Fasteners 1" X 3" 2 Pair: Home Improvement

You would need a way to route the light fixture power cord out of the enclosure though.

And just to emphasize, if you're going to have lighting in the cage, you need to ensure that you have hiding areas for the gecko that remain dark during the day.

HoaDinh

Well what I'm about to say is same with everybody else, they dont need any Uv lights. Infact it might damage their eyes since they are nocturnal and depending if they have the albinos or not. Albinos are very sensitive to light so if you use a Light it might damage their eyes permanently. What I do is dust the crickets and provide a small calcium/vitamin dish inside so if they want they can get extra nutrients.

Visit our friends