Longest time it took your hatchling to eat

Longest time it took a hatchling to eat?

• < a week

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 1 week

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • > 4 weeks

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Syris71

Whats the longest time it took your hatchling to eat?
I have 2 clutchmates that have gone 14 days now and still will not eat mealies. When should I worry?
I haven't tried any other feeder at this point.

Last edited:

Hbug

I have 2 clutchmates that have gone 14 days now and still will not eat mealies. When should I worry?

I have a hatchling that wont eat on his own right now, He is a month old. when he was first born and I waited 5days he didn't eat or shed so I just started hand feeding him the slurry for 2 to 3 weeks and now I am hand feeding him mealworms He will not eat on is own. He is a month old and still the size he was when he hatched out. he has only gained a gram from when I started with the meal worms. I did have another hatchling that I had to hand feed for only 2 weeks and now she eats great on her own. So it just depends on the gecko. Good luck. I would however try to hand feed him a mealworm and see if that gets him interested.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
I have had geckos take a month before they would finally start eating on their own. If it has only been about 14 days, I would not worry as of yet... 9 out of 10 times, they will start eating when they get hungry enough, esp. if they were born with a big fat belly full of egg yolk. What you may want to try is getting a few small pinhead-1/4" sized crickets, as this will sometimes trigger/stimulate their appetite and give the little bit of the boost it may need. Other times, I have just hand fed a few baby mealies to the ones that have taken a little while longer to eat, and once they get a full belly on that and start digesting it, they will realize that those little wiggly things are good for them, and they will want more, lol. Hope that helps.

Syris71

1 of the 2 ate a couple mealies finally. The other still hasn't eaten, but I'll pick up some small crickets today and try those.

Thx all for the advice.

Syris71

Hatchings still not eating on their own. Forced 1 mealie a piece 2 days in a row now.
May decide to humanly euthanize if they don't start eating on their own.

None of my other babies are having this problem. Same parents as these too

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I've got three trempers that don't eat well. At first, I didn't think too much of it, but it eventually started to worry me a bit. I had mealies in there all the time, but they just didn't seem to notice them, so I took a pair of tongs and squeezed the head of a big mealie, then a little further down so some juice came out. All three would immediately take them that way, and they acted like they were starving.

After over a month of this, they just noticed the mealies out of the blue and are eating from a dish.

It was so weird, like they didn't get that mealies on the floor were food, but mealies in the air were.

It was frustrating, but they eventually got it.

Grip Fast

“Ballinbreich”
I have 2 clutch mates that have gone 14 days now and still will not eat mealies. When should I worry?

what was the incubation period of the hatchlings?

could it have to do with how long the incubation period is:main_robin:

i have 6 hatchlings (3 clutches) from one female they where all 3 layed 18 days apart and hatched at 55 days each 18 days apart . each clutch hatched with in hours of the last clutch and they all went 5 day before shedding and becoming eating machines:main_evilgrin: they all hatched very well developed and showing no "soft belly".

so could the retention of yoke in there bellies be more or less du to the time they spent in incubation before hatching?

thegeckoguy23

my hatchling has not ate in 3 weeks I'm gonna put some mellies,cal,and a bit of water in my blender and see if i can put it in aseringen or something and feed it that way.

Jake

JordanAng420

By force feeding them mealworms you are most likely stressing them out, and prolonging the amount of time the geckos refuse to eat. Have they pooped/shed? They usually start eating pretty soon after pooping. I would hold off on euthanasia until they actually start showing signs of illness. Give 'em a chance. I agree with Chris that crickets usually stimulate them to eat better (I guess they move more). Try feeding with tongs instead of your hands if you haven't already done so. Good luck, I hope your little ones pull through.

Syris71

Sadly I will be putting both hatchlins down this evening.
They are about 6weeks old now and still only 3g. They are getting very lethargic and still will not eat mealies/crickets.They are also in their 3rd shed and have very difficult times with it no matter how high the humidity is or whether I let them soak in shallow dish.

I know there are some that (for some reason or other) never thrive and its part of breeding but it still sucks:(

Visit our friends