Lost my first leopard Gecko....

coker101

I posted this in the health section but would like any info I might get from you guys on this.

If you have any ideas what might have been the problem then please let me know so I don't have the same issue with my other leo.
First Post:

My female leo started losing a little weight a while back but it was not enough to be too concerned about. She had just dropped a couple eggs about a month ago and she had been eating pretty well and gaining it back until late last week....then she stopped eating but was still pretty active. She's done this before so I was not overly concerned (plus she ate 3 super worms one day early last week) but then today I came home from work and she is totally limp and not opening her eyes.

I have no idea what's wrong with her. She is in a 20 gal long with slate on the bottom and a under tank heater (yes it's working). 3 hides, 1 with damp paper towels and a small bowel of calcium (no d3).

She is only 2 years old so age should not be the issue.

This stinks....I have had a lot of lizards in my time and have never lost one. Eats me up thinking it could be something I might have done.

I do not think she will make it through the night from what I'm seeing.

Second Post:

Well as I figured she passed away about an hour or two after I posted this. I went to check on her in the middle of the night and she was gone.

What's strange is that she developed a dark spot on her belly (in the center about 1/3 the way down from her neck to base of tail) a long time ago and when she passed away it got really large and a lot darker. I looked at it probably 6 months ago then compared it to pictures online and really did not see anything abnormal. Also she was eating and passing her food with no problems. I figured it was just her insides but it clearly had something to do with her death because it got pretty large and a whole lot darker when she died. It could have been a partial block I guess but I have no idea what could have impacted her because she's been on slate tile almost her entire life.

At least she's not hurting anymore but I feel terrible about it.

mörten

Ohh I am so sorry for your loss :( To me it sounds like she might have had an internal bleeding caused by being egg bound. A friend of mine had a female leo that would not pass her eggs, yet she still remained active and eating. However, one evening she found her leo completely limp and paralyzed in her back legs. She got very lethargic and got a swollen blue belly. Fortunately, she managed to pass the eggs that came out hard as rocks. So your female could have been egg bound causing a fatal internal bleeding.

I am sorry that you leo passed away. Dont beat yourself up about it too much though. Sadly these things happen. The best thing you can do is to try to figure out what went wrong and learn from the experience. This is what you are doing right now, so dont be too hard on yourself :)

Again, sorry for your loss, RIP little one :(

Visit our friends