lygodactylus williamsi female die off....Anybody else experienced this??

argus411

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

As the title says, I just experienced a lygodactylus williamsi female die off. I acquired 4 pairs of these gorgeous geckos about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Within the time span of this last week, I now have only males left.

A little about my parameters. I housed them in pairs in 29 gallon high aquariums with a basking site of mid nineties with the bottom of the tank being in the mid 70's. Humidity maintained at mid 90% Three of the enclosures were kept similar, well planted with several species of smaller "wet" vivarium suited plants with the "main" plant and hangout being the broad, rainbow leafed plant that you see in the large pots in home depot, obviously thoroughly cleaned and roots stripped of the homedepot soil. 1 enclosure did not have the broad leaf plant, but lots of cover, branches and finished "great stuff" background. All had several branches crisscrossed throughout. 3 had pea gravel substrate, 1 had a false bottom, ABG mix substrate. All pairs were fed repashy day gecko diet, repashy calcium supplemented hydei, melanogaster and bean weevil. 2 of the pairs also received "field plankton" regularly. Copulation was witnessed with 2 of the 4 pairs, 1 of the 4 pairs laid 2 healthy eggs. No fighting was witnessed with the exception of feeding time, two of the females would chase off the males from their feeding area.

Just within this past week I have lost ALL four of my females. They were all active, healthy and basking the day prior to their death. All were found at the bottom of their favorite baking site on substrate. I was able to find one still barely clinging to life. She expired the next day. 3 of the 4 were visibly gravid, but I do not suspect egg binding in such a short time. None of the females had any fresh marks on the neck from mating or harassment. All of my males are fat, happy and active.

Has anybody experience a female die off like this??

Thanks in advance for your input.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have not had a mass die off like that, however, I did purchase 1 CB female to join my male. The male is about 5 years old and I got him about 10 months ago on (believe it or not) craigslist. I got the female in April and she was fine. All of a sudden in July I saw her very still on one of the leaves and when she didn't move I checked and she was dead. No marks, no sign of any problem. I contacted the person who sold her to me and described my set-up and husbandry. She couldn't find any problems. She has sent me another that I got a bit over a month ago and after her quarantine, she is now in with the male. I'm hoping for the best and have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is if yours were wildcaught (mine was not) could they have had some kind of parasite. As far as why the females died and not the males, I haven't a clue.

Aliza

kidock

I dont know why people keep thinking that lygodactylus williamsi are tropical geckos, just to let you all know, they came from Tanzania where they have more like a subtropical weather. 90% humidity is too much, 70-80% is perfect, believe me I killed my first one because of this. When there is like mist on the glass or the soil is wet for more than 2 days that means that you have too much humidity.

Tips: Williamsis tell you how they feel and what they need just changing their color.
PS: Type Tanzania in Google images, that will give you a clue.

Visit our friends