Making hides

GGss6

I have a plan to make a hide out of some kind of foam. What kind do I use? Is spray paint safe? I'm going to use hot glue to attach pieces together.

Thanks,
GGss6 :banana:

I've not the faintest idea on the foam, but the spray paint will be safe if you seal it. Super glue would most likely work better and is again safe as ling as it gets sealed with the paint.

GGss6

meg1877

With my hides i used mod podge hard coat to seal it. as for foam i used some that i found at lowes. It was like 6 sheets for 9$. Its in the same isle as the insulating foam.

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
His idea of using grout is the only reason I think styrofoam would be a good idea. I wouldnt recommend just painting it, even if you seal the paint. The grout he's using is whats keeping it from flaking apart. And its thick enough to fill the crevices in the foam, which is really important. Just painting it wont do that.

If you planned on using styrofoam, Id probably stick to exactly the way he did it. You can get a nice clear coat in a spray can at any hardware store.

GGss6

His idea of using grout is the only reason I think styrofoam would be a good idea. I wouldnt recommend just painting it, even if you seal the paint. The grout he's using is whats keeping it from flaking apart. And its thick enough to fill the crevices in the foam, which is really important. Just painting it wont do that.

If you planned on using styrofoam, Id probably stick to exactly the way he did it. You can get a nice clear coat in a spray can at any hardware store.

Good point but will the seal I linked work?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_396243-14317-0000200149_0__?Ntt=paint+sealer&productId=3665194&rpp=16

meg1877

Mod podge is non toxic and it comes in many varieties. I used Mod Podge Hard Coat, but you can also use Mod Podge Outdoors. Whatever sealant you use, you should let it dry for at least a day and then clean it before you put it in the tank. Also read the back of the label and see if there is a cure time. If there is then you need to let the project dry/cure for that amount of time to make sure there are no harmful fumes. Thats why I like mod podge, no fumes, fast drying and non toxic.

Visit our friends