Male attacks female

libby

Today, I reintroduced my Mack Snow (M, 3) and Hypo (F, 4) ahead of breeding season, assuming they'd settle together as they'd been kept as a couple by the previous owner - apparently proven pair, but I only have the person's word on that. (She is definitely female as laid eggs for me last season, living with the Mack Snow.) He went for her face as if she was another male. Locked on and when eventually he let go, he left a fairly large head wound on the female. (This has been treated and will be kept an eye on.) At no point during this altercation did he actually attempt to mount her. Female doesn't seem fazed, but she is hardy by nature.

Why did/does he do this? Should I exclude him from future breeding groups or try him with another female? (It's not a huge deal him not getting on with my Hypo in particular as she is somewhat bigger than him and I have a male Hypo perfect for her.)

FYI: I have room to separate all of my geckos; got three boys, three girls, five 2ft tanks, a 3ft and a RUB. Temperature is correct (UTH, thermostat), diet is mainly dusted mealies and locusts. They receive UVB but it is not on every day. I may have missed something because I'm so used to dealing with them, so ask away!

Last edited:

libby

Thanks for your response. I have no idea why I didn't reply.

Update: Male is still living on his own but had successful matings this year. He exhibits further strange behaviour and always has, but seems healthy and content. Female's head wound healed shockingly fast and she's good as new.

Visit our friends