Mealies

Geckoheaven

The guy at the pet store where I purchased the pin head crickets and small meal worms for our hatchlings said to pinch the heads off of the mealworms before putting them in with the hatchlings.

He said the mealworms could live in their intestines for up to a 1/2 hour and eat away at the hatchling's innards?

Has anyone heard this? Is this a common practice to tear the heads off? Then they are dead and don't move around and entice the hatchlings to eat. :main_huh::main_huh::main_huh:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
i tear off all the heads of all the THOUSANDS of mealworms and supers i feed my geckos.......... :main_robin:

lol okay i was kidding, that would be a waste of time....A mealworm will not live in the intestine of your gecko..IT IS A MYTH, that never seems to die!!

So feed with confidence that a mealworm will not tear through your gecko and have it for dinner :main_thumbsup:

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
MYTH. That's a fairly common old-school misconception. There is absolutely no reason to pre-kill meal worms before feeding them to a gecko.

Brewboy74

Gecko Power
Yeah and if you look/listen closely they really crunch them before they gobble them down. I doubt if many survive the initial grab.

goReptiles

Stomach acid will kill what isnt killed after the gecko munching on them

So many pet store employees have no clue. I tried to explain the myth incorrect to an employee one time, and he refused to believe me.

Visit our friends