Mealworm questions

Chevalrose

So if I kept mealworms 24/7 I'd replace uneaten ones every couple days right? Should I just throw them in the trash? I'm pretty clueless about insect life cycles...I just don't want beetles in my trash or anything. Maybe toss them outside?

I know a smidge about mealworms because I've bought them for my rats as treats. When I get a small container of them, some of them don't move...how can I tell if a mealworm is dead? (obviously poking it...but if it still doesn't move...I'm assuming it's not good?).

Shera

If I was you I'd just put uneaten live mealworms back in the fridge if they haven't pupated. I don't use mealies though. You definitely don't want to throw live mealworms in the trash, they will pupate there and you will have beetles in the trash. If you must dispose of them, flush them.

I only use supers, but I find that they look dead right before they shed. If your mealworms are in the fridge and they aren't moving I think that's normal, they slow down in the fridge and "come back to life" when warmed up.

bjleemkuil

If I was you I'd just put uneaten live mealworms back in the fridge if they haven't pupated. I don't use mealies though. You definitely don't want to throw live mealworms in the trash, they will pupate there and you will have beetles in the trash. If you must dispose of them, flush them.

I only use supers, but I find that they look dead right before they shed. If your mealworms are in the fridge and they aren't moving I think that's normal, they slow down in the fridge and "come back to life" when warmed up.

:main_thumbsup:

steve905

Before you put them in the frige I'd feed them some carrot or potato so they get some moisture. They should be taken out once a week for a day and fed that so they can regain their moisture.

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I would suggest getting your mealworms from a supplier, rather than your local pet store... they are healthier and last longer. A mealworm is dead if it is hardened or blackened.

A great resource for mealworms is New York Worms: www.nyworms.com. They ship to your door via USPS Priority mail, and the prices include shipping. For one leopard gecko, you can get 1,000 medium mealworms at $16.99. That will last you about two months if you’re feeding 15-20 mealworms every day.

The worms will need to gut load to stay healthy (thereby healthier for your gecko). We use Cody’s Pro Gut load: http://www.progeckos.com/supplies/pro_gutload.htm. 1 lb of Pro Gut Load, $4.00.

Keep the mealworms in a shallow Tupperware container with several holes in the top for ventilation. The container of mealworms will be kept in the refrigerator.

You can use the gut load as bedding for the worms, add 1” layer to the container.

Once a week, with the Tupperware lid removed, add slices of potato to the top of the mealworms and let them gut load for a day. They don’t need a water source; the potato slices will provide enough moisture for the mealworms. Remove any potato remnants/ skins before you return them to the refrigerator. This will prevent the gut load from getting moist and soggy, as it should stay dry and loose.

When it’s time for feeding, you’ll take the worms out of the fridge, let them warm up for about 10 minutes so they start moving, and place 15-20 mealworms in the feeding dish.

We keep the feeder dish in their enclosures at all times. We feed every other day and throw any uneaten worms outside for the birds.

Be sure the feeder dish is free of their shed skin and dead mealies... keeping it fresh will be more appetizing for your gecko.

Hope that helps!!

Visit our friends