Meet Hendricks. H. turcicus. Could use a little advice.

redhandfilms

Say hello to Hendricks St. Germain Von Geckington, the First. Hendricks for short. Hemidactylus Turcicus. Mediterranean House Gecko.

I found this little guy inside at work, almost 3 weeks ago and brought him home. It seems they are an invasive species here in Georgia. Since I brought Hendricks home I've seen 5 more outside the building I work in. They're everywhere.
It's been a few years since I've had a reptile. I've owned bearded dragons in the past, but this is my first gecko. He's (or at least I keep saying he, but I'm not sure of gender) very tiny, only about 1 inch nose to vent. He seems to be doing quite well. Here's what I have so far...
ENCLOSURE
Here's what I currently have for setup;

I know it's small, but so is he for now. This is a temporary enclosure until I get something larger. The container is glass, about 7 inches in diameter and 9 inches tall.
Substrate is "coconut soil". Sold for hermit crabs. Comes in a compressed hockey puck size disc. Is this alright? It seems to be fine and keeps the humidity up. My only complaint is that it clings to him a bit. Seems like it gums up the pads of his feet and makes it harder for him to climb glass.
Inside we have a jar lid for water, a shot glass for a hide (he was named after a gin cocktail after all) some stones, fake plants, and some Greek columns (he is a Mediterranean house gecko). He's starting to come out and climb around a lot more now so I'm going to add some sticks for more climbing.
TEMPS, LIGHTING, and HUMIDITY
I mist the enclosure every day, and put a halogen lamp on for a bit of heat for a few hours in the morning. I'm still awaiting the arrival of a hygrometer/thermometer in the mail to get actual temperatures, but I can monitor the temps and humidity of the room (76-80*F, 50-60% humidity. With the lamp on temps and humidity are higher in the enclosure).
FOOD
He's very small so the only thing small enough to eat right now is flightless fruit flies, and he loves them. He is hunting and eating well. He's also pooping regularly, which I know is a good sign. I was wondering about any supplements. I've finding conflicting information on care sheets. Some say calcium and vitamins, some say none, and I'm not sure what type (with D3, without, type of vitamins, etc). I remember there being very specific types and needs for my bearded dragon. Some brands were possibly harmful. If supplements are necessary, can someone recommend a brand?
If I need a powder, what is the best way about getting it to him? If I dusted the flies, he doesn't eat them right away. Some possibly survive for days. What about gut loading fruit flies with some calcium in their tube? They have a nutrient gel in the tube they come in. I've also been trying to keep a small piece of fruit in the tank for the flies that evade his capture for too long. I figure it gives him a nice, easy, "watering hole" to hunt at.

So, long post I know, but I think I covered most of the bases. I would love any questions, advice, comments or critiques on his care.

Cheers,
Carter

Visit our friends