Might start to breed Leopard geckos.

Geckos_

I am considering this hobby. I've thought about it a lot, and I've decided it's what I might want to do. I know that it's expensive, and that it takes a lot of time. What I'm asking you leopard gecko experts is basically what I should be researching. Do you think you could list some "Topics" of what I need to research? ex. Incubation temperatures, lay box substrate, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks! -Carly

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
Yes. Definitely husbandry first. If you dont get that down everything else is moot. I might start with a small group until you get the husbandry down and research everything else as you go. Theres a few informative threads on here and a few good videos on youtube. And talk to as many people as possible. Ask a million questions. LOTS of people do things LOTS of different ways. If your intention is to breed Id stick to talking to other breeders. They'd be able to give you more accurate info for your needs. Ask them how they do things, what theyre setups are like, what they feed and why, theyre incubation setups, etc. Asking why they do what they do (not just how) will teach you a lot more. And most of them have no problem taking the time to answer whatever questions you have (at least the good ones)..:main_thumbsup:

Welcome to the community! It addicting once you get into it. Just do it for the right reasons and you'll have no problems

Embrace Calamity

The one thing a lot of people overlook is what they're going to do with the babies. Yeah, you can produce them, but then what? You need to make sure you have enough room and money to have setups, food, and supplements for all of them, and then you need to figure out what you're going to do with them. Who's going to buy them? Where will you sell them? How will you advertise? Figure all of that out first.

And research genetics and morphs so you know what you're doing, who to pair who with, what to label them as, and what leos to start with.

~Maggot

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
The one thing a lot of people overlook is what they're going to do with the babies. Yeah, you can produce them, but then what? You need to make sure you have enough room and money to have setups, food, and supplements for all of them, and then you need to figure out what you're going to do with them. Who's going to buy them? Where will you sell them? How will you advertise? Figure all of that out first.

And research genetics and morphs so you know what you're doing, who to pair who with, what to label them as, and what leos to start with.

~Maggot

Great points. Definitely the most overlooked thing. Keep in mind that each female can produce 10-20 babies in a season. Even a 1.3 group has the potential to produce 60 babies. Definitely want to think about what your going to do with them

Embrace Calamity

Great points. Definitely the most overlooked thing. Keep in mind that each female can produce 10-20 babies in a season. Even a 1.3 group has the potential to produce 60 babies. Definitely want to think about what your going to do with them
It's unfortunate that the US market is so completely over-saturated with leos right now. So many leos, so few good homes. I could amass a huge collection just by taking neglected/abandoned leos in.

~Maggot

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As mentioned above, the first step is to successfully care for a small group of geckos. By "successfully" I mean that both you and the geckos are healthy and happy.
Here are some other suggestions:
-google "leopard gecko breeding" and read these "care sheets"
-read through the breeding sections of the forums. Start a text document, copy and paste anything that seems relevant. That way you'll have a collection of useful info
-check out these articles:
Guide to Breeding Leopard Geckos on a Small Scale | Gecko Time
How to Sell Your Geckos | Gecko Time

Aliza

Visit our friends